This role focuses on two key responsibilities: Testing, analysis and calibration of new sensors & System design and integration of multi-sensor products for marine robotics use.
You will be supported by experienced colleagues, PhD level experts and have technical links to key external suppliers and product users.
At the forefront of subsea innovation for the last 40 years, this company is an independent manufacturing business, employing almost 300 employees worldwide. The company offers interesting engineering challenges that require complex solutions and as such staff turnover is low due to the nature of the work and the way people are treated.
Specifically, you’ll be responsible for:
• Experimentation and testing of inertial sensors and inertial measurement units. State-of-the-art motion, temperature and vibration simulators – necessary training will be provided
• Selection, evaluation and integration of new sensors and sensor technologies: Temperature, pressure, magnetics, sound speed, acoustic, optical and others
• Establish and maintain technical relations with sensor providers
• Enhance test equipment and processes for both R&D and production
• Follow developments in sensor products and technology
• Provide technical guidance and undertake design, implementation and testing of multi-sensor integrated products
• Apply and/or expand skills in system design
• Support and take part in product trials; primarily onshore and optionally offshore
• Support project management with time and cost estimates for tasks or small projects
• Apply and/or expand skills in technical project management
Knowledge & Experience
- Minimum BSc level Degree in Engineering or Physics or equivalent proven strong analytic skills
- UK national and potential for security clearance
- Valid driver’s license - Some travel will be required, mainly within the UK
- Wide technical understanding, interest and practical experience
- Sensors and physics
- Electro-mechanical product design
- Strong analytical skills
- Complex problem solving and trouble shooting ability and interest.
- Good communicator both written and verbal
- Practical data analysis and programming skills
- Experience with MATLAB
- Interest or experience in the marine, sensors or autonomous robotics domains.
- Practical experience or knowledge of inertial sensors or associated physics
This would suit an Engineer with a responsible nature, quality oriented and self-motivated. Someone who can represent the company with customers, suppliers and other 3rd parties, and who enjoys working as part of a team and in a collaborative environment.
• Generous contributory pension scheme (minimum company contribution 6% which increases with age)
• 25 days holiday
• Holiday purchase scheme (employees can purchase up to 5 days per annum)
• Life assurance; 6 x annual salary
• Onsite free parking
• Discretionary company performance related pay scheme (annual)
• Working hours are 08:30-17:00, Flexitime & one hour for lunch