Founded in 2019, we are building electric trucks specifically to be used in and around cities and urban areas. The company’s ambition is to remove tailpipe emissions, reduce city pollution, and completely redesign the vehicle to make it significantly safer – for drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
We are a small and tight knit team wanting to work with those who share our passion, our values and our drive to make city centres safer and cleaner.
You will work as part of the powertrain team developing the powertrain thermal management solution, cabin HVAC system and supporting in the development of the electric powertrain systems for Volta Trucks. Working from initial concept to series production and beyond, you will work throughout the product development lifecycle to ensure that vehicle HVAC and powertrain thermal management systems and parameters are fully specified, correctly implemented and thoroughly validated.
The scope of this will include leading the development of the vehicle thermal management strategy, specifying associated HVAC, powertrain cooling and battery thermal management hardware, and the integration of these systems into the vehicle architecture. You will need to work with in-house engineers, outsource partners and suppliers to deliver robust, safe and flexible solutions to meet the vehicle level requirements and vehicle development programme milestones
• Lead the development and specification of the cabin HVAC system
• Lead the development and specification of the EV powertrain and HV battery thermal management systems
• Lead the selection of components, systems and key supplier technologies
• Work with the packaging and EDS teams to ensure that functional, safety and installation requirements are met for the system components
• Work with the control and electrical team to integrate all components into the vehicle control architecture and ensure functionality of features for cabin comfort, demist/defrost and powertrain thermal management
• Contribute to all aspects of the development life cycle including requirements, regulatory standards, attribute definition, FMEA, and DVP
• Work hands-on with prototype vehicles during the development programme to ensure that the vehicle meets its attribute targets and functionality at all build and test phases
• Ensure that feedback from testing is incorporated into vehicle design
Qualifications and Experience
• 7 years+ experience in automotive HVAC and thermal management systems, EV powertrain experience preferred
• University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering topic
• Hands-on approach to engineering, practical and enthusiastic
• Strong communication skills and fluent in English
• Strong team and interpersonal skills, cross cultural understanding, organizing and coordinating ability
• Ability to drive and complete tasks independently, task oriented and high attention to detail
• Ability to work in a complex and ambiguous environment
• Positive and passionate