This is a great opportunity for a mechanical engineer who enjoys variety in their work and would like to be involved in all facets of mechanical engineering. You'll be reporting to the Chief Mechanical Engineer and be responsible for utilising analytical and experimental methods to provide design support within the Electro-Mechanical Design department.
This will include things like environmental type testing of products, including pressure tests, accelerated life testing, shock, vibration and drop testing, under the guidance of the Design Engineers. You'll also assist the Engineers with the assembly of prototype mechanics, to include electronic packages for harsh environments, piezo electric transducers and composite moulding. As part of your role you'll also create mechanical piece part and assembly drawings, wiring diagrams and PCB assembly drawings that can be used for test equipment, prototypes and in production. Some of the time you'll be involved with investigative work into in-service product failures.
In addition to this the Design Engineers will need support in carrying out classical hand calculations for stress as well as performing static and dynamic finite element analysis in the development of new products. This will include verifying and validating design schemes as part of the design review process, through the use of hand calculations for mechanical and thermal tolerancing.
From time to time you'll liaise with external suppliers & occasionally there will be some international and UK travel.
To apply for this position you should be:
Educated to degree level as a minimum in Mechanical Engineering and have knowledge of:
• Good practical understanding of mechanical engineering design
• Basic understanding of subsea engineering and acoustics desirable
• Knowledge of pressure vessel design
• Theoretical and practical awareness/understanding of material science and corrosion
• QMS/ISO Engineering standards and requirements
Your practical experience should include:
• Setting up and conducting mechanical tests and experiments
• Conducting classical hand calculations
• 3D CAD – preferably Autodesk Inventor
• Basic experience of finite element analysis – preferably ANSYS
• Report writing
• Basic understanding of project engineering
• Proven ability to deliver results through others, demonstrating adaptive leadership and effective team management in a commercially technical environment
• Competent user in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, CRM, Project)
• Strong Work Organisation: planning, prioritisation, multi-tasking and delegation
• Excellent Communications: both verbal and written
• Ability to direct, develop and motivate others
• Achievement Orientation: goals/standards setting, drive, tenacity
• Analytical/Evaluative approach
• Problem resolution: general and technical
• Decisiveness and Decision Quality (analysis + judgement)
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others
• Generous contributory pension scheme
• 25 days holiday
• Holiday purchase scheme (employees can purchase up to 5 days per annum)
• Life assurance - 6x annual salary
• Onsite free parking
• Discretionary company performance related pay scheme (annual)
• Working hours are 08:30-17:00, one hour for lunch though we are trialling a Working Arrangements scheme which gives a little flexibility to start/finish times
This position would suit a Mechanical Engineer who enjoys practical work. It would suit a Mechanical Test Engineer looking to develop their design and analysis skills further. This client is very good at developing engineers and will support you in your personal development.