Mechanical Design Engineer
£30 - £35,000
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our growing Design Team. You will be responsible for the mechanical design of assemblies related to experimental campaigns on our electromagnetic launchers and light gas guns.
As an engineer, you will be designing and building state of the art technology to help push the company towards achieving fusion for energy generation.
Projects will range from complex target design and development to upgrading our existing pulsed power machines to improve their performance.
We believe this is an exciting and varied role as you will operate in a broad range of core projects in a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities will include:
•Using 3D CAD to produce engineering drawings for manufacture
•Supporting the design process with technical specifications, design reviews and change management
•Providing expert engineering input into multidisciplinary teams
•Ensuring manufactured components are delivered on time and as specified
• You will have an HNC, HND or degree (BEng) in mechanical engineering
• Engineering design background with experience using a mainstream CAD system. Training on the system used by us (Solidworks) can be provided
• Fast and effective problem-solving skills
• Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Focus on safety and environmental impacts of your designs
• Experience of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• Ability to generate complex 3D CAD assemblies and drawings
• Experience of designing in a research environment with some of the following technologies: vacuum systems, laser systems, pressure vessels, high voltage, laser systems, cryogenics, lifting equipment
• Knowledge of precision manufacturing techniques
• Ability to perform engineering calculations and analysis
• Very competitive salary
• 25 days annual leave (increasing to 28 with time in service) + bank holidays
• 8% employer pension contribution without matching requirements
• Relocation support
• Flexible working
• Generous share options scheme
• Free lunch and soft drinks
• Enhanced maternal / paternal leave
• Enhanced sick leave