Lead Power Electronics Engineer
Our innovative technology client is seeking a Lead Power Electronics Engineer to join their research team to be a part of concept development of new products within the business.
• The design of motor inverters and control for brushless DC, servo and stepper motors.
• The design of heater control hardware and associated protection systems.
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed to ensure this is the case.
• Thermal management design of power electronics systems
• Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
• Working with different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions.
• Research into new technology and investigating ways of incorporating this technology into future products.
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams
• Take technical responsibility for motor drive, heater control and associated power electronics content of a project. This may expand to the responsibility for multiple small concurrent projects, supported by a number of team members.
• Demonstrate designs are safe, robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
• Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline
• Experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly brushless DC motors, servo or stepper motors
• General knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs, MOSFETs and wide bandgap technologies
• Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits, as well as power switch driver design
• Knowledge and experience of using power hybrid modules and power SoC modules (e.g. drivers and power switches in one device)
• Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices
• SMPS and linear regulator power supply design
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a project
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to engineers and up to executive level.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with the companies values
• Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
• Excellent team working skills.
•27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
•Performance related bonus
•Private medical insurance
•Free on-site parking
•Subsidised café and restaurants
•Discounts on products
To apply please send an MS Word formatted version of your CV for us to review.