Reporting to the Customer Services Manager we are looking for a Customer Support Engineer to provide first line technical and logistical support to external customers and internal staff worldwide, for the full range of company products, field engineering operations and training activities, ensuring swift diagnosis and resolution of issues and proactive maintenance of CRM system and Knowledgebase information all aimed at providing maximum customer satisfaction with the company’s products and services.
At the forefront of subsea innovation for the last 40 years, this company is an independent manufacturing business, employing almost 300 employees worldwide. The company offers interesting engineering challenges that require complex solutions and as such staff turnover is low due to the nature of the work and the way engineers treated.
The Customer Support Engineer will be part of a dedicated support team of around 12 people.
To deliver responsive and accurate first line technical advice and guidance to external customers, internal Regional Offices and globally deployed offshore engineers, regarding product and system faults generated during installations, repairs and in-field operations etc covering the complete product portfolio (hardware, software and firmware).
To provide additional first line support for logistical and general customer and internal staff queries, such as offshore engineering deployment requests, warranty claims, training requirements, parts ordering and transportation etc.
Travel: Occasional UK and international travel when fully established in the role (1/2 yrs). This will include customer site and offshore vessel visits, initially as part of the training process then with experience to support offshore requirements when required. Also travel to Regional Offices to provide support when necessary.
• HNC/HND or equivalent qualifications in Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic Engineering disciplines
• Experience of fault diagnosis involving hardware and software
• Basic understanding of acoustic principles and effects of various aspects on acoustic product performance
• Working knowledge of test equipment including oscilloscopes, multimeters, cable testers
• Knowledge of understand and use CRM IT systems to support offshore reporting to the Company and raise Support Cases onshore and offshore etc
• An understanding and practical application of relevant safe-working practices and vigilant operation within Health & Safety systems of work
• Understanding and application of communication protocols RS232/RS485
• Ability to work in confined spaces and on a sea-based operation without severe personal effects
• Ability to understand and apply Standard Operating Procedures
• IT literacy to operate laptop equipment and interpret data results
• Up to date medical clearance for offshore working
• Experience of providing first line technical support in onshore or offshore engineering related environment
• Experience of installation, repair, service and commission of equipment interfacing with other products and systems
• Knowledge of company products and their application in the market
• Experience of writing internal Company Visit Reports and bespoke ‘How to’ manuals for customer use on vessels, rigs etc
• Technical curiosity and ability
• Problem solving ability
• Customer oriented approach
• Active listening skills
• Effective communication skills both verbal and written including technical translation to customers where English may not be the first language
• Influence through indirect resources
• Results driven
• Ability to work with others
• Planning and organising skills – prioritising and scheduling
This opportunity would suit an engineer with an electronics background, who is comfortable with and enjoys dealing with customers, helping them resolve their technical issues. You must be able to multitask and juggle several support issues at the same time. If you have worked in an offshore, acoustic, sonar or subsea environment this would be beneficial but certainly not essential.