Our Automotive & Motorsport client are expanding their Battery/HV capability and are looking for an experienced Principal Battery Management System (BMS) Engineer - Software and Hardware on a permanent basis.
As the Principal you will lead the design and development of Battery Management System – Software and Hardware within the Powertrain department.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities;
• Lead the design, development and delivery of Battery Management System (BMS) – [Hardware and Software] throughout all stages of development, from creating specifications and prototypes to refining designs, monitoring delivery and installation.
• Lead Embedded System development for BMS that will work in tandem with vehicle’s Energy Storage System (ESS).
• Lead definition of the hardware, software and functional requirements for future BMS solutions, documenting these requirements, and ensuring alignment between other departments.
• To lead design of the architecture for both BMS Hardware and Software.
• Documenting and maintaining the BMS Boundary Diagram, and BMS FMEA.
• Working with cross-functional teams to ensure plans are in place for the delivery of supporting software and hardware, identifying resource requirements to maintain on time, on cost and on budget delivery.
• Planning and completing definitions to support test activity, reporting issues from testing, leading on investigation, root cause analysis and issue resolution.
• Liaise closely with the mechanical and electrical engineering teams to ensure that designs are optimised at all levels.
• Lead hardware design, software design, simulation analysis and testing as required to ensure safe, reliable operation while meeting the required performance, regulatory, functional safety (ISO26262) and other requirements.
• Masters or Undergraduate Degree in Software / Hardware / Electronics / Electrical engineering
• 5 years proven experience in design and delivery of automotive Battery Management System (BMS) from design to launch/ production in automotive or motorsport applications as part of an OEM, Tier 1, or consultancy.
• Extensive knowledge on Energy Storage System (ESS) architectures and practical experience.
• Understanding of the relevant legal requirements, safety standards of BMS design, Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), vehicle safety and functional safety standards such as ISO 26262.
• Familiarity with typical software coding tools and software validation tools
• Familiarity with Functional Safety methodology and requirements.
• Be familiar with structured problem solving approaches and typical tools such as 8D and Ishikawa.
• Experience with Battery design and HV system design with a BMS focus.
• A good understanding of battery test and approval standards