We are looking for a Workshop Manager to lead our high precision manufacturing team.
You will work in an exciting environment at the bleeding edge of science and technology for clean energy generation. You will be responsible for the day-to-day planning, operation and problem-solving to enable the manufacturing team to maximise their performance. Your goal is to optimise quality and throughput of our experimental parts.
You will also liaise with our science team to provide advice on best practices and methods of manufacture, therefore playing an important part in the success of our campaigns. You will continuously monitor product quality during build to improve upon product performance targets. Starting from a team of 2 highly skilled technicians, you will play a key role in developing and expanding our capabilities, both in terms of staff and equipment.
Responsibilities will include:
• Build, lead, and motivate a team of 4 highly skilled multi-disciplinary manufacturing technicians in all aspects of safety, quality, and delivery.
• Maintain excellent standards of safety.
• Ensure the achievement of high-quality, efficient, and cost-effective production.
• Play a key role in the expansion of our manufacturing capabilities.
• Provide advice on best practices and methods of manufacture to our science team.
• Maintain material, COSHH sheets, risk assessments.
• Develop a system to monitor the output of the workshop.
• Use your initiative and problem-solving ability to resolve production challenges, including tight timescales and changing priorities.
• Undertake manufacturing tasks during busy periods.
• Implement continuous improvement throughout the whole production process.
Ideal proven ability:
• Experience in a wide range of high-precision manufacturing techniques and machines (both manual and CNC).
• Experience in managing and motivating a small team of highly skilled individuals.
• Excellent organisational skills. We can provide training on specific tools and project management approaches used at First Light.
• Knowledge of health and safety matters related to mechanical workshops.
• Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Nice to have:
• Use of EDGECAM
• Knowledge of CAD software tools
• Willingness to learn new skills to support all areas of the business