Founded in 2019, we are building an electric truck specifically to be used in and around cities and urban areas. The company’s ambition is to remove tailpipe emissions, reduce city pollution, and completely redesign the vehicle to make it significantly safer – for drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
We are a small and tight knit team wanting to work with those who share our passion, our values and our drive to make city centres safer and cleaner.
You will provide hands-on support to prototype vehicle operations, carrying out routine checks and maintenance as well as specific tasks as assigned by senior engineering staff. The work will include active participation in development testing, problem diagnosis, vehicle setup and measurement, mechanical and electrical repairs, updates and modifications. Due to the nature of vehicle testing your work will take you overseas, potentially for several weeks at a time.
The scope of this will include vehicle structure, body/interior, electric powertrain, chassis systems and electrical distribution systems. It is expected that the person in this role will work alongside electrical specialists who will be responsible for solving complex electrical/electronic issues, but a good grounding in the fundamentals of electrical systems is important.
• Support as required vehicle build, commissioning and test/verification activities on site
• Carry out practical vehicle tasks as directed by Volta Trucks senior engineer(s)
• Liaise with facility providers to ensure appropriate equipment and support is provided where required
• Comply with local health and safety requirements and risk assessment procedures
• Oversee company tools and equipment, maintaining appropriate calibrations where required
Skills and Qualifications
• 5 years+ vehicle technical experience gained in a workshop or service environment, preferably in commercial vehicles
•Vocational qualification in vehicle technology (maintenance and repair)
• Good understanding of mechanical and electrical systems related to heavy goods vehicles, with strong fault-finding skills
• Experience in electric drive systems is an advantage
• Preferably, HGV driving license holder (category C) with clean DVLA record (if not held, this will need to be obtained as part of induction to the company)
• Knowledge and experience of vehicle-level instrumentation and installations
• Strong communication skills and fluent in English
• Strong team and interpersonal skills, cross cultural understanding, organizing and coordinating ability
• Ability to drive and complete tasks without detailed supervision, task oriented and high attention to detail
• Positive and passionate, good team player