This is a great opportunity to join a leading company in the Hampshire area. We are looking for a Transducer and Acoustics Engineer to design and develop underwater acoustic transducers against internal and external customer driven requirements.
You’ll be working at the concept stage, taking your designs through to pre-production. This will include activities such as acoustic analysis & simulation, material selection, coordination of prototype manufacture, design of experiments and transducer testing to specifications. This will include the planning, execution and reporting of transducer testing activities, including the development of specialist jigs and fixtures.
The client is keen for you to promote new enabling technologies, innovative design concepts and methods for developing transducers with particular emphasis on polyurethane technology, wideband transducer design and 1-3 composites.
There are no direct reports with this role but there will be regular contact with suppliers, customers and other specialists.
The current acoustic transducer portfolio ranges from low frequency (kHz) to ultrasonic (MHz) and are used for offshore oil and gas applications which include major oil companies, survey companies equipment suppliers, maritime security & oceanographic research - from research institutes to universities.
Some travel within the UK, but not extensive.
To apply for this opportunity you’ll need to demonstrate some of the following:
• Educated to Masters Degree level in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering or similar - PhD preferred.
• Thorough understanding of acoustic design theory, materials & applications.
• Understanding of first principles of acoustic wave propagation and ability to independently validate design and simulation results.
• Strong materials science background with emphasis on the acoustic characteristics materials used in the construction of subsea acoustic transducers.
• Experienced user of finite element analysis software for transducer design - Ansys, PzFlex and/or Pafec preferred.
• Experience of Matlab, MathCAD or similar for transducer performance modelling.
• Basic knowledge or programming skills with Labview, Matlab or other software for data acquisition and analysis.
• Basic knowledge of 3D CAD (preferably Autodesk Inventor).
• Knowledge of relevant codes, standards and applicable regulations.
• Proven experience in design, prototype, test and validation of underwater acoustic transducers.
• Broad range of transducer design experience ranging from low frequency (kHz) to ultrasonic (MHz).
• Experience of defining and measuring material acoustic properties - sound speed, attenuation, absorption coefficient etc.
• Hands on experience of transducer assembly to include bonding, soldering and encapsulation.
• Experience of ceramic dicing machines and associated equipment for the manufacture of 1-3 composites.
• Proven experience in transducer characterisation - beam patterns, beam width, cross talk, directivity, transmit power, receive sensitivity, efficiency etc.
• Ability to use a broad class of laboratory equipment - oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, hydrophones, waveform generators, amplifiers etc.
• Technical report writing skills.
• Generous contributory pension scheme
• 25 days holiday
• Holiday purchase scheme (employees can purchase up to 5 days per annum)
• Life assurance - 6x annual salary
• Onsite free parking
• Discretionary company performance related pay scheme (annual)
• Working hours are 08:30-17:00, one hour for lunch though we are trialling a Working Arrangements scheme which gives a little flexibility to start/finish times