lobal tech business is seeking a proven Mechanical Thermal Engineer. You will be a proven engineer ideally with a minimum of two years proven work post-graduation. Ideally you able demonstrate a breadth of knowledge and understand of Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design and Thermal engineering and analysis. Ideally we are seeking someone who has gained some visibility of first principal design through to proof of concept /production.
A unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Advanced Thermal Engineer to join the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, Wiltshire, U.K. Reporting to the Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in the Technical Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating thermal, mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
• Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
• Develop energy storage solutions with world leading levels of energy density
• Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
• Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
• Deliver solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards
• Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for products
• Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
• Optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
• Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members
• Contribute to time planning and manage your time in line with project deadlines.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of thermal systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
Specification, Analysis & Design:
• Experience in the design and analysis of thermal systems, including Finite Element & Computational Fluid Dynamics techniques.
• Ability to simplify a complex problem into mathematical models and perform preliminary performance prediction, analysis and design recommendation
• Good understanding of statistics and the ability to use these as a tool in engineering decision making
• Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
• Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, mechanical, electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
• Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Engineering processes including DFMEA, DoE, failure analysis/problem solving capability
Test and Validation:
• Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
• Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
• Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
• Appreciation of complying with National, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
• Thermal analysis of batteries and/or electronic systems
• Rotating Machinery design and heat management strategies
• Breadth of experience covering component thermal design through to full system.
Essential behavioural skills:
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent team working skills.