Supplier Development Engineer
Perm or Contract
The STA Engineer acts as the primary client representative at a supplier's manufacturing site and is responsible for an allocated set of supplier manufacturing locations. Constant interaction with people from MD to shop floor and the drive to ensure we make the highest quality vehicles in the world, requires flexible engineers with good communication and team work skills, allied to a thirst for problem solving.
The engineer's activities are focused on product and process performance at external suppliers, supporting both new programmes and current series production. The engineer will provide the link to the supplier and interact closely with Programme Engineering, Supply Chain, Quality and Purchasing organisations.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the delivery of off tool, off process 100% accurate parts and final part approval for responsible commodities through Part Approval Process (AMPAP)
- Use of automotive engineering tools (i.e. DFMEA, PFMEA, PPAP, APQP, 8D)
- Review supplier site self-assessments and/or conduct Manufacturing Site Assessments
- Visit sites as required to drive open issues and supplier improvement plans to resolution using appropriate problem-solving tools
- Develop work plan to reduce PPM
- Schedule and conduct reviews with supplier management as required
- Conduct capacity verification process and verify production trial run
- Drive capability (Ppk & Cpk) LRR, Launch Readiness Review process (High impact suppliers)
- Ensure supplier completion of flawless launch initiatives
- Support management/supplier meetings as required
- Provide supplier on-site assistance as required
- Analyse capacity, capability & drive improvement
- Support Fresh Eyes reviews as required 8-D / Concern Resolution
- Support Conformity of Production (CoP) audit at selected suppliers (when applicable) Field Action/Stop Shipment (FASS)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work in multi-functional teams including suppliers, to exact deadlines and often under pressure.
- Working knowledge of problem solving tools and techniques.
- New part Introduction, Project Management, problem solving/resolution tools and techniques all within an automotive environment with OEM or tier1.
- Conversant with the suite of Microsoft Office software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- HND or degree (preferred), in a relevant discipline (engineering / manufacturing based).
- Lean Manufacturing experience to include VSM, Visual Management/Control, 5S SMED and Standard
- High degree of numeracy and knowledge of statistical techniques is an advantage.
- Knowledge of automotive systems
- Supplier development / supplier quality experience within the automotive sector (STA preferred), preferably OEM or first tier.
- Formal continuous improvement qualification (green or black belt).