Senior Vehicle Development Engineer
£45,000 - £55,000
The Vehicle Development team support the company throughout the whole vehicle program, from initial concept to design, manufacturing and final verification and validation ensuring that the vehicle meets all program requirements.
In this role your key responsibilities will be to support the planning and execution of the test and development program, including managing budgets, test facilities and whole vehicle requirements. You will be responsible for the coordination of prototype vehicles in preparation for vehicle tests and while on test. This role will be part of a small team and a high-level of self-motivation, initiative, flexibility and problem solving will be required. The role will require regular travel and out of hours activity to support testing activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for specifying, preparing, monitoring, analysing and reporting of all activities related to the build, test, development and validation of the vehicle development and attribute systems.
- To work closely with the Development build teams to ensure that vehicles are built to the required specification and prepared for test.
- To work closely with the Program, Vehicle Design and Engineering teams to develop, plan and execute verification and validation tests in line with program requirements.
- To take responsibility for vehicle DVP and test budget for development activities.
- To work closely with suppliers and test facilities to ensure successful test activities.
- To represent the Vehicle Development team both at test and in technical meetings as required.
- To report back to the business on the status and progression of the development activities.
- To develop the business's Vehicle Development process.
- Educated to Degree level in Automotive or Mechanical Engineering.
- Sound engineering knowledge and application to vehicle development activities.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an automotive test and development environment.
- Experience in the generation and development of whole vehicle and rig based DVP.
- Knowledge and experience of industry proving grounds and test facilities.
- Experience of any or all of the following is an advantage:
- Experience of working in a low volume, high performance or motorsport vehicle environment.
- Experience of rig test preparation, design and analysis techniques.
- Sound technical knowledge and relevant experience of vehicle attribute engineering. (Durability, Heat Management, Vehicle Dynamics, NVH, etc.)
- Familiarity of typical automotive diagnostic / DAQ tools (IPETRONIK, CANalyzer, VBOX, etc.)
- Experience of post-processing / scripting tools (MATLab, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of subjective/objective attribute target setting.
- Catia V5 (or alternative CAD system) DMU experience preferred, but not essential.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office tools.