We are currently seeking a Senior Test and Development Methods Engineer for our fuels and lubricants client based in Oxfordshire.
This role sits in the Product Innovation and Engineering Department and reports directly to the Engineering Manager. The group deliver high quality and innovative test solutions, engine technology insight, and product performance testing services to the Product Innovation and Product Development departments, and influences industry specifications via membership of industry bodies.
• Leader of a team of 3 engineers following transition
• Responsible for people development, goal-setting and appraisals
Test Process Development
• Generate innovative solutions for lubricant testing
• Lead root cause analysis of test failures / unexpected results
• Deliver new test development projects on time and on budget
• Develop test methods with proven repeatability and discrimination in conjunction with outsource partners
• Contribute to the advancement of test methodologies for rapid product development and advantage demonstration
• Management of relationships with European outsource test partners
• Contribute to department management functions, planning, strategy, people development
• Practise leadership: Continuously improve core technical process and practise in test development and test methodology
Product and technology development
• Contribute to requirements definition and project initiation for new lubricant PD projects
• Source complementary expertise externally where the project scope goes beyond current internal capabilities or competencies. (e.g. through the use of external test labs/institutes, university collaborations etc.)
What we are looking for:
• BEng Mechanical or Automotive Engineering, Tribology or similar discipline, minimum 2:2, with considerable mechanical/automotive engine or transmission development experience
• Significant experience of base engine or lubricant development engineering and understanding of lubricant circuit and lubrication regimes
• Proven track record of delivering innovative test and development methods in friction, wear, durability. Ability to balance cost/value add when designing complex test protocols.
• Deep analytical and root cause analysis skills with the ability to define a protocol to reach a mechanistic understanding
• Proven ability to draw product-level conclusions from data and articulate concise risk pictures to senior management