Due to new projects our client is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who would like a varied role within a small but dedicated team. You'll be writing code, validating and testing software with inputs from system modelling as required in the development of present and new Power Electronics products.
• Write code for embedded microprocessors in new power electronics product developments, working in a collaborative code development team.
• Tune existing embedded code on present products.
• Write well-documented code that adheres to company’s programming conventions
• Development and implementation of control algorithms, communication protocols, troubleshooting control systems during system-level testing, and test plan development.
• Development and implementation of modelling solutions (first principles and system identification), and conduct trade studies and analysis of system/subsystem performance.
• Assist manufacturing and field support activities.
• Take part in peer reviews of own and others work.
• Take part in the definition of the strategy for and delivery of, cost-effective, high-quality, high-reliability modular power conversion and control electronics to integrate with the companies systems.
• Ensure engineering delivery is rigorously executed with robust control of configuration, standards, quality, utilising a systems engineering approach.
• Application of balanced risk management in the execution of engineering scope, both from a development and diagnostic perspective, using FMEA, FTA etc
• Support the supply chain team with supplier quality issues and new supplier validation.
• Work closely with production engineering to incorporate best practice in our manufacturing operations and on DfMA projects.
KEY BACKGROUND, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Physics, or Math
• At least 5 years of experience designing, coding and testing software in C for bare-metal (no RTOS) industrial or automotive applications.
• ARM embedded cores, C2000, DSP, PIC.
• J1939, UART, TCP/IP, USB, JTAG buses / interfaces
• Experience with 50 to 500kW grid-tied inverters, preferably for the renewable sector.
• Experience with modelling and simulation of electrical drives, power converters or power systems using SimPowerSystems / PLECS / PSIM.
• Practical understanding of control theory
Other Beneficial Expereince
• Understanding of Engineering systems, process, best practice.
• Experienced in balancing engineering risks and business priorities.
• Strong analytical ability and a clear thinker.
• Ability to assimilate and analyse large amounts of data quickly.
• Good understanding of different production methods, models, metrics etc.
• Understanding of 3 phase electrical systems and high power converters, e.g. motor drives, UPS systems or grid connected converters.
Up to 47k + Benefits such as health cover + family, 25 days hols, life assurance, pension, bonus scheme, share options, free parking
Hours of work are Mon to Thurs 8.30-5 and 1.30 on Friday and flexitime is also available