Senior/Lead/Principal Power Electronics Engineer
This is a chance to be a part of the Advanced Propulsion Centre funding programme as recently announced by the UK government, and help develop a cutting edge green technology aimed at reducing CO2 emissions.
The primary purpose of this role is to be responsible for the development and validation of electric vehicle power electronics and electrified vehicle systems/devices for a range of applications including for the powertrain of the future, a hydrogen fuel cell.
As the Senior / Lead Power Electronics Engineer in the business you’ll develop efficient and cost-effective power electronics using cutting edge technologies, the latest test and evaluation equipment / laboratory, and robust simulation tools.
We’re looking for:
- Degree in degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience.
- Excellent knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging SiC / GaN based technologies: gate driver, control architecture and measurement circuits, selection/characterisation of silicon devices for inverter, DC/DC converters and battery charger applications
- Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits.
- Knowledge of automotive standards and regulations for hybrid and full-electric vehicles and their components would be desirable.
- DVP&R and DFMEA creation and execution experience, with exposure to ISO26262.
- Power electronics layout for best compromise between good switching performance, cooling, cost and size.
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer.
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools and System level modelling tools such as Matlab, Simulink or PLECS
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation
This position would suit a senior, lead or principal mechanical engineer who has a good appreciation of integrating electrical technology into mechanical systems – a total system approach is ideal. You won’t have any direct reports initially, but the client is interested in Engineers who have the potential to be a technical leader within the team. You’ll need an open communication style as you’ll need to promote the implications of your design decisions over issues such as sizing, packaging, heat dissipation and power density.