World class advanced engineering and product development business is seeking a proven Senior Power Electronics Engineer. You will have the opportunity work on technically complex projects, leading-edge technology products.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and experienced Power Electronics Engineer to join a growing team of engineers in a focused R&D / Strategy division focusing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors. You will have an opportunity to join the Power Electronics team as it develops a brand new electric vehicle. Prior experience of the automotive sector is not essential (although highly beneficial); more important is prior experience with HV applications, or invertors, or BMS.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
Applicants for this particular role must have directly applicable experience in the aforementioned power electronics areas.
The power electronics role will involve:
• Working with the different research teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using their expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions
• The design of motor inverters, device selection, gate drive design, operating and protection strategies.
• The design of power supplies for a broad spectrum of potential applications and power ratings.
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying the design where needed to ensure this is the case.
• Specification of associated passive components, contactors, cables, connectors and fusing.
• Thermal management of power electronics systems.
• Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
Whilst the Power Electronics team is responsible for supporting new products at initial design stages, a key focus for any successful applicant will be to research into new technology and look at innovative ways of incorporating this into future products. As an advanced employee, a successful applicant will be expected to:
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Initiating the production intent solution and developing suitable documentation prior to handover to the development teams
• Take technical responsibility for the power electronics content of a project
• Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.