Great opportunity to join a small but growing company developing a new flagship product. Working within the advanced engineering function and reporting directly to the Principal Power Electronics Engineer, you’ll produce the topology design, component selection and architecture of new power converter designs, as well as testing the prototypes as required in the development of present and new power electronics products.
- Design of motor inverters, device selection, gate drive design, operating and protection strategies.
- Design of power supplies for a broad spectrum of potential applications and power ratings.
- Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying the design where needed to ensure this is the case.
- Specification of associated passive components, contactors, cables, connectors and fusing.
- Thermal management of power electronics systems.
- Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
- Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
- Initiating the production intent solution and developing suitable documentation prior to handover to the development teams.
- Take technical responsibility for the power electronics content of a project.
KEY BACKGROUND, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience.
- Excellent general knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging SiC / GaN based technologies.
- Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits.
- Proven experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly gate drive design to component level.
- Power electronics layout for best compromise between good switching performance, cooling, cost and size.
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools and System level modelling tools such as Matlab, Simulink and PLECS
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation
This position would suit a Senior Power Electronics Engineer who enjoys working on industrial and automotive applications.
The environment would suit an engineer with excellent communication skills who can influence others, has the technical ability to make sound decisions as well as the ability to develop and implement new processes from scratch.
We need a clear thinker who is analytical and has the energy and passion to develop a new product for this business.
• Pension Scheme
• Company bonus
• Life Assurance
• Health Insurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• 25 days holidays per year plus bank holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Free parking on site
• 4.5 day week, including a modern flexible approach to working