Senior Optical Engineer
Permanent - Circa £40,000 - £45,000
Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of fiber lasers for use in cutting, welding and marking applications in a wide range of industries. They have a new role for a Senior Optical Engineer based at their Rugby site on a permanent basis.
To work as part of a team of engineers and technicians to develop components for the companies range of high-power fiber lasers.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Design and specification of high power optical/fibre-optic components/optical systems.
• Production of components/systems to demonstrate feasibility and to provide prototypes.
• Design and implementation of lab-based optical experiments for the verification and validation of the components/systems.
• Work closely with Manufacturing Engineering team to transfer component manufacture to Production.
The role requires a strong practical, hands-on approach to product development, underpinned with a thorough understanding of the principles of physics related to optical and fiber/optical component/system design, development and application.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• Hands-on experience of optical/fiber component or system development and characterization.
• Experience of high-power lasers and/or optical or fibre-optical components.
• BSc degree (or higher qualification) in optical or laser physics/engineering
• Experience of working in the laser or fiber-optics industry, ideally in one or more of optical design, manufacture or testing.
• Ability to work across multiple tasks methodically and efficiently and meet committed timescales.
• Able to deliver technical updates of status on agreed work-schedules.
• Happy to work in a dynamic environment and adaptable to changes in priorities.
• Ability to integrate into multidisciplinary and cross-functional teams.
• Hands-on, creative approach to problem solving and the ability to translate engineering requests into working solutions.
• Strong customer focus and ability to visit supplier and/or customer sites as required.
• Ability to contribute to generation and analysis of intellectual property.
• Self-starter with good interpersonal skills and a strong execution-oriented approach.
• Must be diligent, focused and thorough, taking personal pride in their work and achievements.
To apply please send an MS Word version of your CV across for our review.