This is a chance to join a company who employ around 50 staff but are part of an international group who are leaders in the development, manufacture and supply of high performance fibre lasers. They employ some of the best and most creative people in the industry and they have helped to make us one of the fastest growing and most innovative photonics companies in the World.
You will be responsible for the mechanical design of high power laser systems and associated equipment throughout the complete product lifecycle. Along the product journey, you will use your problem-solving skills to deliver innovative solutions to ensure that we stay at the cutting edge of our industry and are able to help our customers develop the next generation of solutions.
• Using 3D CAD (SolidWorks), design bespoke laser systems, new laser platforms and perform modifications to existing designs to improve performance, reliability, cost or ease of manufacture.
• Work closely with our team of Optical and Electronic Engineers to generate new design concepts and take ownership of mechanical designs throughout the lifecycle of our products – including BOM generation and maintenance via ECNs.
• Design, model and test cooling schemes for thermal management within laser systems (air or water cooling).
• Take ownership of project work packages within design projects; work with project managers to ensure delivery of solutions within tight deadlines.
• Prototype assembly and work with engineers to prepare assembly instructions.
• Communication is key: as well as generating reports and required quality documentation, you will support other areas within the business with your technical expertise as well as working with external suppliers.
• There will be some occasional travel – to suppliers and other offices within Europe.
• Proven, relevant experience of inspirational mechanical design in precision optical, mechatronics or an electronic product environment. Experience within the laser industry and knowledge of high power (kW) laser technology is especially useful.
• Track record of design for both sheet metal fabrication and CNC machining and total familiarity with drawing standards and geometric tolerances. Relevant experience in CFD and thermal management, design for EMC and optical, electronics or industrial product design is also useful.
• A relevant qualification in Mechanical Engineering or Physical Sciences would be an advantage. A high standard of 3D CAD expertise - preferably SolidWorks - is required.
• Comfortable working in small project teams; able to communicate effectively at all levels.
• Well-developed analytical abilities; able to question complex information, identify root-cause and effects and deliver inspiring solutions whilst displaying an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Passionate about what you do and for delivering an outstanding level of customer service both internal and externally.
• Exceptional time-management abilities, a deadline-oriented approach and strong decision-making skills.