Founded in 2019, we are building electric trucks specifically to be used in and around cities and urban areas. The company’s ambition is to remove tailpipe emissions, reduce city pollution, and completely redesign the vehicle to make it significantly safer – for drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
We are a small and tight knit team wanting to work with those who share our passion, our values and our drive to make city centres safer and cleaner.
You will take charge of defining, developing and implementing the connectivity strategy for all Volta’s vehicle products, working hands-on to architect the solution, and to work with outsource partners and suppliers to deliver robust, safe and flexible systems from initial concept though to series production and beyond.
The scope of this will include full ownership from concept to end of production life of the connectivity roadmap, over-the-air update and remote diagnostics. You will lead the end-to-end definition and delivery of all connected features including both hardware and software necessary to implement the solution. Development of the off-car cloud services and integration into the wider business to support Truck as a Service.
• Responsibility to define all the requirements and attributes necessary to deliver connectivity and OTA functionality including the user/customer/fleet interface
• Architect and lead the on-vehicle connectivity solution including the hardware required to connect all vehicles and the associated interface to the EE network to ensure a safe and secure platform at SOP
• Define the requirements and attribute targets for all wireless communication protocols required to deliver the connectivity platform including responsibility to package antennas within the vehicle for best performance working alongside the packaging team
• Identify and lead the selection of major components and key supplier technologies both on and off vehicle and establish the relationships necessary to build out the platform for use in all markets
• Oversee all aspects of the development life cycle including requirements, regulatory standards, attribute definition, FMEA, and DVP
• Working alongside the functional safety team, develop the Functional Safety Case (FSC) and corresponding Functional Safety Requirements (FSRs) for all functionality delivered within the infotainment domain for all associated safety goals
• Lead the cyber-security analysis and development of security requirements and any compliance required to deploy the vehicle into production
• Develop functional Bill of Materials and work with Purchasing colleagues to nominate key suppliers
• Plan and control delivery to meet product and project targets for performance, robustness, cost, weight and timing including any certification requirements
• Support the vehicle development programme to ensure that the highly integrated system enables the vehicle to meet its attribute targets and functionality at all build and test phases
• Ensure that requirements for updates, improvements, cost reductions or modifications are met during the production life of the vehicles
Qualifications and Experience
• 5 years+ experience working within the connectivity domain and ideally within an OE application to deliver into series production environments
• University degree in a relevant engineering topic
• Demonstrable experience developing products in line with ISO 26262, IEC 62443 and SAE J3061
• Good understanding of vehicle packaging concepts and demonstrable experience integrating packaging sensitive components for optimised attribute performance
• Hands-on approach to engineering, practical and enthusiastic
• Strong team leadership and interpersonal skills, cross cultural understanding, organizing and coordinating ability
• Ability to drive and complete tasks independently, task oriented and high attention to detail
• Ability to work in a complex and ambiguous environment
• Positive and passionate, good team player