Senior Engineer - Vehicle Body System Design
£50,000 - £60,000 + Benefits
This business is a world leader in the design and manufacture of concept and prototype vehicles with particular focus on environmentally friendly, small city cars displaying energy efficiency and lightweight characteristics. They have developed an innovative new manufacturing process and is actively using this new technology to satisfy low energy, low weight and low investment demands for vehicle design.
Senior engineers within Vehicle Body Systems and Architecture Design are responsible for design and release of Body and Interior components across all projects undertaken. They are expected to provide innovative technical solutions to meet project needs as well as delivering initial vehicle layout including manikin positioning throughout the concept stage, before switching to design and release of tooling, jigs and fixtures and supporting vehicle build.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities within Vehicle Body Systems and Architecture Design:
- Provide high quality and imaginative technical solutions to project requirements, utilising team input when necessary
- Lead other members of the Vehicle Body System and Architecture Design team, prepare 2D concept sections, 3D part models, 3D assembly models and any associated 2D drawings as required
- Provide input data to CAE and support any other Vehicle Engineering activities
- Liaise with styling to support feasible design solutions with regard to manufacturing, assembly and homologation
- Coordinate with Principal Engineers and Project Managers to ensure technical targets, program timings and budgetary requirements are met
- Liaise with the Prototype Workshop to provide feasible design solutions and support workshop activities pre, during and post-vehicle build
- Schedule design activities to meet engineering deliverables that deliver to required specifications within timescales and budgets
- Present concepts and design status to client project teams, client senior management, project suppliers and internally to Company personnel
- Ensure own designs meet all relevant safety and regulatory requirements, and are formally verified to meet these and other specifications
- Contribute to complete and effective engineering plans and schedules, including planning own activities
- Identify and highlight any areas for continuous improvement
- Mentor and support professional development of all colleagues, particularly junior staff.
Experience and Qualifications:
- It is anticipated that you will have 5 years relevant automotive experience at an appropriate consultancy or OEM
- You will be educated to a degree level in a mechanical or aeronautical discipline.