Great opportunity to join a small but growing company developing a new flagship product. Working within the advanced engineering function and reporting directly to the Engineering Director, you’ll have responsibility for the software aspects of developing a new product.
The primary purpose of this role is to code, validate and test software with inputs from system modelling as required in the development of present and new Power Electronics products.
• Write code for embedded microprocessors in new power electronics product developments, working in a collaborative code development team.
• Tune existing embedded code on present products.
• Write well-documented code that adheres to company’s programming conventions
• Development and implementation of control algorithms, communication protocols, troubleshooting control systems during system-level testing, and test plan development.
• Development and implementation of modelling solutions (first principles and system identification), and conduct trade studies and analysis of system/subsystem performance.
• Assist manufacturing and field support activities.
• Take part in peer reviews of own and others work.
• Take part in the definition of the strategy for and delivery of, cost-effective, high-quality, high-reliability modular power conversion and control electronics to integrate with the companies systems.
• Ensure engineering delivery is rigorously executed with robust control of configuration, standards, quality, utilising a systems engineering approach.
• Application of balanced risk management in the execution of engineering scope, both from a development and diagnostic perspective, using FMEA, FTA etc
• Support the supply chain team with supplier quality issues and new supplier validation.
• Work closely with production engineering to incorporate best practice in our manufacturing operations and on DfMA projects.
KEY BACKGROUND, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Experience of developing real-time embedded products
• 5 to 10 years of experience designing, coding and testing software in C for bare-metal (no RTOS) industrial or automotive applications.
o ARM embedded cores, C2000, DSP, PI
o J1939, UART, TCP/IP, USB, JTAG buses / interfaces
• Software Configuration Management tools (source control, continuous integration, etc.)
• Significant experience/appreciation of quality and process assurance.
• Experience with unit/acceptance testing and writing testable code.
• Experience in defining software level requirements
• Basic understanding of control theory, PID loops, etc.
• Desirable code development for power electronics
• Desirable working knowledge of software engineering to the guidelines of IEC 61508 and/or other safety standards
Other Beneficial Experience
• Understanding of Engineering systems, process, best practice.
• Experienced in balancing engineering risks and business priorities.
• Strong analytical ability and a clear thinker.
• Ability to assimilate and analyse large amounts of data quickly.
• Good understanding of different production methods, models, metrics etc.
• Understanding of 3 phase electrical systems and high power converters, e.g. motor drives, UPS systems or grid connected converters.
• Pension Scheme
• Company bonus
• Life Assurance
• Health Insurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• 25 days holidays per year plus bank holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Free parking on site
• 4.5 day week, including a modern flexible approach to working