Senior Chassis Engineer
£40,000 - £58,000
The key elements of the Chassis Design Engineering function are to ensure the compatibility of design solutions against the vehicle specification, integrate hardware with styled themes and to work with the Engineering group of the company to ensure the design output is aligned with structural parameters. In addition to design tooling, jigs and fixtures and support vehicle build. The role will require a close working relationship with other function groups to ensure Vehicle technical specifications are met with regard to function, cost and performance.
- Design of all components with Chassis Systems; including suspension, springs, dampers, brakes, callipers, uprights, steering racks, wishbones, track rods, steering arms etc.
- Design of and lead all technical discussions within the business for Chassis Systems.
- Initiate and conduct meetings with technical suppliers, third party suppliers, and others as may be required.
- Liaise with Head of Design and Project Management to ensure technical targets, program timings and budgetary requirements are met.
- Prepare and release designs for tooling and fixtures.
- Liaise with the Prototype Workshop to provide feasible design solutions and support workshop activities pre, during and post-vehicle build.
- Schedule own activities to provide engineering deliverables that meet required specifications within timescales and budgets.
- Plan and maintain progress in improving personal professional competence.
- With other members of the Design Team, prepare 2D concept sections, 3D part models and 3D assembly models / drawings.
- Provide input data to CAE and other Engineering activities.
- Liaise with styling to support feasible design solutions with regard to manufacturing, assembly and homologation.
- Professional presentation skills to present concepts and design status to client project teams, client senior management, project suppliers and internally to Company personnel.
- Ensure own designs meet all relevant safety and regulatory requirements, and are formally verified to meet these and other specifications (performance, cost).
- Contribute to complete and effective engineering plans and schedules, including planning own activities.
- Ensure that your technical knowledge and expertise is kept up to date.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree qualified, preferably a degree in mechanical engineering
- Experience in motorsport and sports cars is essential
- Ideally skilled in working with CATIA V5 and using Excel
- Capable of carrying out hand calculations for components and correct material choices
- Have some knowledge & experience of EPAS, active suspension systems
- Understanding of bush design for NVH, ride and handling
- Good working knowledge of ABS, ESC and TC
- Ability to use FEA software would be an advantage
- Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals.