Senior Automation Engineer
As a technology business, there is an immediate plan to take manufacturing equipment to the next level, heavily involving automated techniques. It is essential that these machines are both developed and production viable to a high standard to ensure they can be seamlessly transferred to the manufacturing team and customer sites.
You will support the design, development and implementation of improved automated production methods, including the development and validation of automated handling, masking and process equipment, performance monitors and training. The successful candidate will need to identify and solve problems related to production processes, equipment, and manufacturability.
You will be an excellent communicator and will ultimately ensure that the innovative technology is implemented and maintained efficiently and within the parameters defined.
In addition, there will be development projects looking at re-designing the systems and trialling new hardware as the individual projects dictate.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes; applying knowledge of equipment design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators
- Develop manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors
- Conceptualize and develop automated equipment in conjunction with equipment vendors
- Liaises with equipment vendors for the completion of equipment specifications
- Ensure automation equipment successfully navigate the TRL system from concept to hand over to implementation team
- Project manage aspects of automation development, from proof of concept to detailed design through to final validation
- Ensure all machines are built to the correct/desired standard and are validated for use
- Responsible for the support of transfer of automated equipment to manufacturing and customer sites
- Complete all projects by training and guiding operators and technicians
- Capable of working alone or in conjunction with other team members and internal / external customers.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as required
- Line management duties of industrial engineer
- Up to 40% international travel
- Assisting the R&D, Service & Support and Manufacturing teams as and when required
Key Relationships and Interfaces
- Line Manager for day-to-day direction
- Engineering, R&D team, S&S and Manufacturing
Academic Qualifications or Key Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Design or Manufacturing (preferred); other technical qualifications considered
Essential Skills & Experience
- 7+ years in mechanical design / manufacturing role with western company
- Excellent Solidworks design capabilities (component & assemblies); other design packages considered
- ‘Cradle to grave’ development experience, with exposure to supplier sourcing, prototyping, design validation, mass production release
- Machine maintenance, repair, upgrade retrofits and validation
- BOM creation and management
- The candidate needs excellent problem solving skills and must possess and be able to demonstrate a flair for creativity and innovation
- Must be able to work on their own initiative and demonstrate flexible organisational, time management and prioritisation skills, between multiple projects
- Ability & willingness to work under pressure and to tight timescales
- Experience of CE / UL machinery safety standards would be advantageous