Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of fiber lasers for use in cutting, welding and marking applications in a wide range of industries. They sell its products globally and are introducing key new products at pace and this Quality Manager role is critical to the success of these implementations and growth plans.
They are searching for a competent and experienced Quality Manager to join their team. In this role, the successful applicant will be responsible for overseeing the operation of the quality systems, quality engineering and export compliance department and the efficacy of the overall Quality program to ensure the utmost in customer satisfaction. The Quality Manager will also be responsible for ensuring continual quality improvement of both product and business processes within the company and take a key role in “lean” training and deployment.
The single point of responsibility for Quality Systems and Product Quality & Reliability Improvement, this role is responsible and accountable for our laser product quality and reliability improvement across the business from piece parts to customer. Reporting to the COO, this role will also lead and drive Quality improvement activities for business processes and products across the whole business, with teams in both their UK sites (Southampton and Rugby) and spanning all functions, notably Product Development, Customer Support and Operations.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• In charge of the nonconformity and corrective action processes ensuring one process and best practices are incorporated by everyone to reduce waste.
• Establishment and continual improvement of the QMS processes to ISO 9001:2015
• Take responsibility and authority of the activities of the QMS such as ensuring QMS conformance, promoting customer focus, and reporting on QMS performance and quality objectives
• Implementing improvements to production and business processes that lead to overall increases in product quality and reliability
• Provide focus, direction and control for internal audit planning and management.
• Manages KPI reporting to top management and parent company
• Ensure compliance to export rules from Sales request to shipment.
• Satisfying customer expectations about the product's quality
• Single point of Quality escalation path for customers for incoming / outgoing communication providing detailed customer facing Q&R reports and presentations as required.
• Determine the risks and opportunities that can affect product conformity and manage these for product quality
• Drives analysis of performance trends; both from within our production environment and externally from our service teams and customer base.
• Drives effectiveness of the product quality and reliability process, including fault finding, 1st level and detailed investigation, root cause analysis, containment and corrective action.
• Ensure that appropriate quality controls and assurance inspections are undertaken across the business
• Maintain stakeholder engagement internally and externally with suppliers and customers.
• Supplier Quality performance monitoring and management in conjunction with procurement.
• Give quality input during NPI gate reviews and ensure that the appropriate quality criteria as well as process limitations are understood
• Requires good technical understanding of electronic products
• Excellent Quality and Reliability theory and practice
• Strong working knowledge of ISO9001: 2015
• 5+ years leadership skills as a Quality Manager in a high tech, component manufacturing industry
• Experience of fibre laser design and/or production
• Minimum 2.1 in a relevant Bachelor degree
• Preferably a post graduate qualification in Quality management
• Hands-on with creative and practical approach to problem solving and the ability to translate problems into working solutions. Is logical & methodical and a proven ability to question others.
• Team player with natural leadership skills across functional areas, can create and motivate a cross-functional team
• Has the ability to lead and coach others in quality improvement techniques, including fault finding
• Impeccable communication, presentation skills – concise and information/insight focused
• Ability to work across multiple tasks methodically and efficiently, with good prioritisation
• Proactive approach to supporting the needs of a large multi-disciplinary development team
• Ability to understand and influence complex processes
• Able to influence others to realise win-win scenarios
• Innovative and proactive self-starter.
• Based in Southampton with regular travel to their other production site in Rugby. Expected on average to be 1-2 days every 2 weeks on approx.