Volta Trucks is a start-up full-electric commercial vehicle manufacturer and services company. Volta Trucks has offices in Sweden, France and the UK. The first prototype Volta Zero was launched in September 2020, with the first pre-production vehicles due to start evaluation with customers in 2021 ahead of the start of series production in 2022.
Working for the Head of Procuremment, an ambitious Principal Buyer / Commodity Specialist is sought to develop, source and manage the supply base of Volta Trucks. As a relatively new business, this is an opportunity to be part of the team that shapes and establishes a new supply chain operating in a dynamic and collaborative business.
In coordination with the Volta Trucks Engineering team this role will focus on developing relationships, contracting and supply chain management to ensure programme objectives are met. In addition you will work on developing a supply chain strategy to support Volta’s mid to long term business goals.
Due to the innovative positioning of Volta Trucks, this role doesn’t necessarily require previous automotive experience (although experience within a similar industry is desirable) The most important criteria is a Purchasing Manager with strong commercial and supply chain experience with key skills in negotiation, contract and cost and supplier management. Personal traits need to include being able to work remotely, demonstrating tenacity, drive and perseverance.
This is a full-time role, with some travel in the UK and internationally. It is a mix of remote working and being office-based in the M3 / M4 corridor west of London. This role is perfect for someone proactive, independent, and results-driven and who has a great approach to teamwork and collaboration.
• Management and development of the supply base to meet programme requirements
• Lead development and execution of purchasing strategies
• Lead supplier engagement, sourcing and contract management (for prototype and production supply base)
• Work closely with key cross functional teams to ensure transparency, be responsible and accountable to make and influence key decisions in the best interest of the business
• Manage, track and report costs, lead cost risk mitigation activities
• Develop supplier relationships to deliver mutual benefits
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or similar, preferably in Purchasing, Supply Chain or Business
• Five years (plus) of procurement or commercial experience
• Experienced negotiator with a proven track record of end to end supply base management (strategy, sourcing, delivery and ongoing management)
• Experience of category or project management, strong analytical skills with the ability to simplify complex data
• Proficiency in all Microsoft Office products, including Excel, PowerPoint etc and experience using ERP systems
• Strong influencing skills with experience of networking and developing relationships with all levels of an organisation Experience of financial and quality supplier qualification processes
• Strong oral and written skills in the English language
• Understanding of key cost drivers in manufacturing
• Experience working in direct and indirect procurement
• Process development and improvement skills