Circa £45,000 - £55,000
Our high technology client in Southampton are seeking a Production Manager from a mid-high-volume manufacturing industry with strong lean manufacturing experience. They require someone with an ability to demonstrate an understanding of technology/engineering to adapt to being a Production Manager of the Fiber Manufacturing side of their business; which involves chemical processing (this will be trained) and so this may come from an Engineering / Chemical or Science Degree or from working in a similar environment.
The business is going through growth with strong investment and this is an area of the business which will grow. They therefore, need a someone with the right attitude; someone with passion for growth / change and Improvement and is able to inspires and drive a team, taking them to new levels and improvement. You will therefore, be a driven, hungry, enthusiastic production manager looking for growth yourself and able to support succession planning, making improvements, recruiting good engineers as well as being a hands-on involved manager.
This could be a step up to management or someone who wants a new challenge but, is likely to be someone with more than 5 years strong manufacturing engineering / management experience and able to implement change.
The role has 12 reports across 2 shifts of which there are 2 Cell Leaders (one for each shift) whom help manage the team of which you are responsible for all.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Provide strategic leadership to achieve key operational objectives in safety, quality, environmental compliance, reliability, production, and cost, in support of our global customer base.
• Lead the Fiber team in a fast-paced high energy environment and demonstrate a sense of urgency and take total ownership for all demands of the section. Be the first line of communication in dealing with all fiber related departmental enquiries, queries and escalations.
• Deliver/exceed the planned departmental metrics, identify future capacity requirements and take full ownership to find resolution.
Accountabilities for role include:
Fiber production and departmental management:
• Safety & Housekeeping - Ensuring the Fiber area runs safely, as safety is a priority within the business.
• Set, communicate and ensure departmental goals & objectives are met and exceeded safely. Challenge the existing KPI’s and develop new KPI’s to include but not be limited to, Fiber that is supplied to third party businesses.
• Clearly set and manage expectations for all reports, meeting and surpassing established Fiber and departmental goals and objectives.
• Training, development, and management of all Fiber personnel.
• Monitor and manage the fiber quality through all build stages to ensure the highest sustained fiber yield.
• Responsible for identification and project management of programs to enhance quality, capacity increases / decreases or technical improvements and sustain supply on an agile footing.
• Lead and be able to raise Capex documentation to support capital development needs specific to fiber improvements or initiatives both inside operations and with Group as necessary.
• Maintain routine communications with Management of stakeholders within the business.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Customer & Internal Relationships
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with all levels of teams through the business.
• Be accountable for performance against KPI’s and review weekly with the relevant managers.
• Handle ad-hoc Fiber demand issues efficiently and effectively.
• Internal: Heads of Departments; Planning, Engineering, Operations, shipping, IT, Finance, supply chain.
• The successful candidate will have strong production manager experience within a Lean manufacturing environment.
• Broad knowledge of the entire Operations Chain with a minimum of 5 years Manufacturing experience.
• Experience of working closely with commercial functions.
• Proficient in the use of spreadsheets, word processing software and email
• Track record of clear man management regarding individuals and teams.
• Ideally a degree in an Engineering / Manufacturing environment.
• Lean manufacturing experience / qualification of relevance.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate with external customers, suppliers and staff at all levels.
• Driven, assertive and demonstrates a strong proactive growth mind set.
• Capable of discussing and assisting with the resolution of complex issues with a strong analytical approach.
• Strong man management and coaching skills.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Thorough attention to detail
• Innovative and proactive self-starter
• Possess a structured and methodical ability to organize themselves
• Able to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Able to work under pressure
• Ability to handle multiple tasks methodically and efficiently and meet committed timescales
• Happy to work in a dynamic environment and adaptable to changes in priorities
To apply please send an MS Word formatted version of your CV across for my review and consideration and I will come back to you.