In this new position you’ll be responsible for Assembly, Test, Hire & Repair, Stores & have direct management of 8 Supervisors heading up 7 Production Cells and Stores, Indirect management of non-unionised Manufacturing and Stores staff in excess of 50+, comprising Manufacturing Assembly Operators, Test Engineers, Repair Technicians, Stores persons and Apprentices.
The operating Budget is >£1.5m and the company operate a single shift, products ostensibly made to order, volumes ranging from one-offs to batches of 20+, typically 10,000+ units manufactured annually.
You have full Production responsibility across the entire range of the product portfolio of 45 standard product range plus bespoke products and prototypes. They employ a full range of basic hand assembly techniques, wiring, crimping, soldering plus some specialised assembly methods. There is also a mix of manual and automated PCB and product test methods (scopes, DVMs and bespoke jigs) and equipment utilised including some environmental testing of finished products.
• Degree qualified in engineering/manufacturing related discipline
• Diploma in Production and Operations Management or equivalent
• Black Belt Six Sigma (desirable)
• IOSH for Managers (minimum)
• Demonstrable working knowledge of lean manufacturing, six sigma and change management techniques
• IPC 610 workmanship standards for PCB’s, wiring, soldering etc
• Up to date awareness of HSE regulations and requirements across electro mechanical processes and activities
• Advanced level user of ERP (knowledge of SYSPRO desirable)
• Extensive operational and supervisory/managerial experience within an electro/mechanical manufacturing sector (essential)
• Proven success in consistent timely delivery of production targets meeting required quality standards and cost parameters
• Proven ability to develop and implement operational KPI’s to report production performance output and efficiencies
• Proven success at middle/senior management level with evidence of effective team leadership and people management skills across manufacturing employees including supervisory manufacturing and operational staff
• Demonstrable effective collaborative working style and evidence of positive internal departmental relationships with Engineering, Production Planning, Purchasing, Stores, Sales, Quality, HSE, HR functions etc
• Successful track record of applying continuous improvement throughout manufacturing operations with measurable results
• Managing effective apprentice schemes