Great time to join an expanding company developing some of the very latest technology used to support electric vehicles. This client is looking for an additional Principal Power Electronics Engineer who is able to show technical leadership, a pragmatic problem solving approach and a willingness to be hands on. You’ll be innovative, have great communication skills as well as a desire for continuous improvement.
As Principal Power Electronics Engineer you’ll be the technical authority in power electronics design and shape the architectures of electronic projects for the entire product range. As an expert in your field you’ll provide mentoring and direction to other Electronics Engineers in the team.
This role reports to the Electronics Engineering Manager and is based in the UK with an occasional requirement for national and international travel, primarily to China/Europe.
- Full life cycle design from initial concept through to production
- SMPS, PSU and inverter design and development
- Simulation, calculation and circuit design
- Writing design specifications and reports
- Leading validation and verification activities
- Leading design reviews
- Verification, characterisation and validation testing of electronics
- Writing characterisation and validations test specifications and test reports
- Actively participating in international conferences and meetings
- Building and maintaining relationships with leading suppliers of power electronics components to ensure good knowledge of relevant technology developments
- Working in accordance with Electronics Team Processes as well as Development Process and Business Management Process
- Supporting manufacturing activities in the UK and China
Relevant Knowledge & Experience
- Ideally a Masters degree in Power Electronic Engineering or similar
- Extensive experience in design and analysis of inverters for electric motors
- Test and evaluation of power electronics systems
- Electrical and thermal modelling and simulation
- Multiple journeys through the complete development life cycle
- Design for EMC
- Design for Manufacture
- Experience in an automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier
- Familiarity with relevant automotive legislation, standards and guidelines
- 10kW to 100kW, 200 to 800V inverter design and the ability to work from a blank page
- Expert in component stress and de-rating and reliability estimation
- Design for functional safety to ISO26262
- Familiarity with Mentor Graphics PADS and DxDesigner (Altium also desirable)
- Using and applying DFMEA
- Understanding of automotive power-train components
The client is ideally looking for someone with an automotive background; however, they will consider engineers with a background in other industries such as industrial drives.
We are not looking for an engineer with a purely academic or research background; we need an engineer who has experience with mass production.
Although a Principal role, this is not a team leader position. You’ll be working with another Principal Engineer and the options for a managerial position are fairly restricted. This position would suit someone who prefers to be a Technical Authority.
• Discretionary Bonus - up to 15%
• Life Assurance
• Pension Scheme
• Private Healthcare
• Share Options
• Learning & Development
• Relocation package if required
The client has a forward thinking, professional and open culture and are looking for likeminded individuals who can add value to the power electronics department.