Principal Engineer - Power Systems
£Neg + benefits
We're currently recruiting for Automotive Consultancy business that has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer - Electrical to join their Design, Development and Engineering Centre based in Surrey.
The business works with a variety of power systems including IC petrol, Diesel, Hybrid, Pure EV and seeks to expand into fuel cell and other emerging technologies.
The key accountabilities of the Principal Engineer – Electrical is to ensure that the power train, electrical and software requirements of the Company are efficiently and effectively met. The technical areas covered by this function are:
- Electrical Powertrains: HV battery, HV motor and transmission, inverter, HV compressor and heater systems and vehicle charging (on board and off board)
- Internal combustion engine and transmissions
- Electrical harnessing (HV and LV)
- Control unit hardware, Control unit software for Body and Powertrain systems
- Switch gear and all vehicle sensors and actuators
- Vehicle and component software strategy and communication databases.
The role includes leading analysis, simulation system specification, design, manufacture and test work for all of the areas listed previously.
Primary responsibility will be to lead the design and engineering work on a customer project, overseeing the project vehicle design from a Power Systems perspective.
In addition you will be the first point of contact with the customer from a chassis engineering perspective.
The candidate is expected to liaise with the development, project management, commercial, prototype and production manufacturing teams, technical partners and suppliers to ensure the designs meet the requirements for timing, performance, manufacturability and cost.
Experience and Qualifications:
It is anticipated that you will be an automotive engineer with at least ten years in automotive design, be ideally educated to degree level in electrical, electronic or controls engineering and have demonstrable experience managing teams.
In addition we would expect you to have experience in the following areas:
• A solid understanding of whole vehicle design
• Experience with external suppliers and consultants to ensure that engineering, cost and timing targets are met
• Experience of full product life-cycle activities including cost & weight and supplier management.
This is a senior role within the organisation, so broad-based practical design experience is essential as well as a sound knowledge of structures, systems and dynamics of vehicles. You should also be a self-motivated individual capable of working under your own initiative as well as meeting tight deadlines. The role involves a great deal of interaction with our technical partners and suppliers so it is expected that the candidate will be happy to travel both in the UK and Overseas.
Please send an up-to-date CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org