Principal Engineer - Composites
|Job Title:||Principal Engineer - Composites|
|Salary:||Negotiable depending on level|
|Contact Name:||Gemma Feist|
|Job Published:||August 27, 2019 10:40|
Principal Engineer - Composites
Advanced Materials Engineering
Permanent - Circa £65,000
Our client is increasing the capability of the world’s most demanding products through the application of Advanced Materials and Manufacturing techniques. They are seeking a Principal Engineer with a strong design and development background of composite materials from within the automotive and / or aerospace industries to lead a team or circa 5 people.
The Principal Engineer has overall responsibility for the design and production engineering function, managing a team of engineers to produce conceptual and detail designs that utilise novel metal matrix composite materials. This position requires an innovative and practical engineer with excellent attention to detail, composite design expertise, with the confidence and ability to develop design and analysis methodology for a new class of engineering material.
This is a critical position in a growing business, at the forefront of innovation in composite materials. The Principal Engineer will shape the technology integration at a critical phase of our development, making this a challenging role with real scope to make a difference.
The Principal Engineer will report to the Technical Director.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Overall responsibility for the output and quality of the engineering function, supporting internal R&D and delivering external customer projects to defined deadlines
• Lead and mentor the design and analysis engineers to ensure that project outputs meet customer requirements (internal and external team) and delivered on-time
• Provide technical governance across all programmes / projects to guarantee quality and promote engineering excellence.
• Gathering customers’ technical requirements and devising solutions for problems. Providing CAD and CAE consultancy support services
• Translate technical requirements into design concepts / schemes, guiding teams through practical decisions and coordinating with materials experts to allow programmes to be delivered to the highest standard.
• Use expertise to resolve complex technical and manufacturing issues,
• Lead and develop the team’s capabilities and performance to meet and exceed the current and future challenges set by the business.
• Establishing techniques and rules for the design and analysis of aluminium matrix composite materials to develop design guidelines and standards
• Other duties as required
Skills, attributes and Qualifications
• Mechanical Engineering or other relevant degree / qualification
• Minimum 10 years relevant “hands on” design experience in one or more of the automotive, aerospace, defence, energy and industrial sectors
• Excellent working knowledge of SolidWorks software preferable
• Good understanding and interpretation of FEA results
• Composite design and design for manufacture experience essential, with casting design experience an advantage.
• Inspirational leader, with demonstrable experience of managing multi-disciplined team of engineers
• Strong interpersonal skills, able to build sound working relationships both internally and with external clients
• Respond positively to new challenges and to working with unfamiliar components or in new industrial sectors.
• Problem solver who can deliver engineering solutions for manufacture
• Excellent communication skills.
• Flexible and able to adapt to the requirements of a small company, including providing support to other areas of the business
To apply please send an MS Word formatted version of your CV across for our review.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's