15 days ago
Salary / Rate:
£competitive + benefits
Founded in 2019, we are building electric trucks specifically to be used in and around cities and urban areas. The company’s ambition is to remove tailpipe emissions, reduce city pollution, and completely redesign the vehicle to make it significantly safer – for drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclists. We are a small and tight knit team wanting to work with those who share our passion, our values and our drive to make city centres safer and cleaner.
• Leads the team of project and design engineers within the Body-in-White engineering team across all Volta Trucks product lines and projects.
• Ensuring the systems and components you are responsible for are delivered robustly via the Volta Trucks program development process together with all applicable vehicle objective and subjective attributes as well as cost, timing & quality requirements.
• The Principal Engineer is a true technical leader and expert in their area of responsibility.
• The scope of the role covers all projects from initial product concept, product development, launch, series production and field vehicle issue resolution.
• Set and deliver system and component technology roadmaps for future vehicle projects within the Body-in-White field, including new material and process technology developments.
• Lead the team to deliver all systems in line with targets, KPI’s and milestones set by the Volta Trucks program including all vehicles in development and series production.
• Deliver required standards on Design and Engineering integrity to exceed quality, performance and commercial goals.
• Set, manage and deliver bill of material cost targets on all Body-in-White systems, supporting Volta Trucks purchasing with supplier nomination and cost management activities.
• Manage and deliver vehicle program investment budgets, including internal and outsourced labour, tooling costs and supplier or internal D&D investment.
• Deliver all program timing requirements within the engineering scope of responsibility, including but not limited to: concept phase system definition, SFMEA/DFMEAs generation and management, detailed design development, simultaneous engineering management, ETRS, supplier tooling kick off, production drawing releases, vehicle/system/component testing and validation planning and execution and other relevant deliverables.
• Define future component and system technical strategies and associated technology roadmaps. Where necessary, identify research topics, associated budgets, resource, partners and funding streams.
• Act as a leader in technical concern resolution, demonstrating 8D/PPS skills and coaching the Body-in-White team members in complex problem solving behaviours and techniques.
• Lead and develop the Body-in-White team capabilities and performance to meet and exceed the current and future challenges set by the business.
• Develop and maximise the technical and project management capabilities of the Body-in-White team to ensure every member of the team is a technical expert in their his/her field with excellent system engineering, technical design, component manufacturing process & project delivery skills.
• Develop the relationship, framework and ultimately the capability of any Body-in-White strategic resource partners including a clear performance management processes.
• Promote, implement and support a simultaneous approach to vehicle industrial design engineering where early engagement from all stakeholders is maximised in order to avoid late changes and delays in the overall process. Including business wide stake holders such as Quality, Manufacturing Engineering, other Vehicle Engineering teams, Service/After sales, marketing, etc.
• Act as the subject matter expert within the business for all Body-in-White related matters.
Qualifications and Experience
• An experienced automotive leader of direct and indirect teams.
• A committed, logical team worker, happy in a cross functional environment with a variety of backgrounds and skillsets.
• Ability to demonstrate experience of tier 1 supplier delivery & project management of a major vehicle program with an APQP or similar framework.
• A proven track record in an OEM or tier one with a high level of technical knowledge.
• Minimum 7 years of experience in automotive, aerospace or equivalent.
• Experience of high volume and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes.
• Relevant Experience in lightweight body design engineering and materials technologies.
• Sound commercial and financial awareness.
• Able to manage team output of high quality 2D and 3D manufacturing data through knowledge of drawing standards, modelling best practice, GD&T, manufacturing process specific data requirements and assembly kinematics/clash detection.
• Mechanical, systems or automotive engineering degree – 2:1 or above.
• CATIA V5/V6, PC literate and at ease with MS Office & Google products.
• Knowledge of body engineering CAE simulation and analysis tools and processes.
• Practical problem solving / 8D / 6 sigma approach through experience in previous roles.
• Full UK driving license.
• An excellent communicator with the ability to lead and motivate teams and work cross functionally, in a start up fast moving environment.
• Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to system and concept design, solving engineering problems using a practical problem solving methodologies where required, with an excellent eye for detail and an engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
• A self-motivated natural leader, mentor and coach who values personal relationships across the whole Volta Trucks business as well as the development and nurture of their team.
• Well organised and delivery focused with a demonstrable track record of on-time and on target delivery in a high pressure environments.
• Capable of representing a world class automotive brand.
• Willing & able to travel within the UK, EU and worldwide as required.