A fantastic opportunity has become available for an Advanced Power Electronics Engineer to join our Engineering client in the South West. This offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Power Electronics Engineer in the Technical Research Team, within the Research, Design and Development (RDD) department. It would suit applicants have graduated with a degree in Electronic Engineering and hold a couple of years’ experience in industry, or someone with a year and a year in industry from a sandwich degree. They will also consider a PhD level candidate.
Applicants must have experience in the aforementioned power electronics areas. The power electronics role will involve:
• Working with the different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using their expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions
• The development of battery management systems and assessment of alternative battery management solutions and topologies depending on the product requirements
• The design of motor inverters and control for brushless DC, servo and stepper motors
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed to ensure this is the case
• Thermal management design of power electronics systems
• Ensuring battery management systems meet regulatory and company requirements for safety
• Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
Skills / Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Minimum technical knowledge:
• General knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging GaN based technologies.
• Some battery application experience specifically with regard to safety systems and determining system parameters (such as product runtimes).
• Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits as well as power switch driver design o Knowledge and experience of using power hybrid modules and power SoC modules (e.g. drivers and power stiches in one device).
• SMPS and linear regulator power supply design for digital and analogue electronic systems.
• Experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly brushless DC motors, servo or stepper motors.
• Design of power electronics for both low voltage and mains voltage systems.
• Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools.
• Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice.
• Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
• Design for high volume manufacture o Low voltage and mains voltage equipment.