I am currently seeking a Mechanical Facilities Engineer for our Automotive client. As a business, they provide world class design, development and manufacture of internal combustion engines and hybrid powertrain systems. This role will see you provide high level mechanical engineering support to the Build and Test Department. This will involve specifying, designing, commissioning & fault finding mechanical / electromechanical equipment, control systems and test facility. We are looking for proven experience of working in a test facility environment, and it would be useful to have experience of large motors and drive systems.
• Support users of the engine and vehicle test facilities:
• Communicate directly with our internal and external customers to understand their needs and then implement appropriate solutions.
o Specify and design bespoke mechanical rigs & test equipment from first principles. Install and commission this equipment producing appropriate documentation.
o Set up equipment in an efficient manner, based on a sound technical understanding of the equipment and its functionality.
o Diagnosis of mechanical issues with equipment/facility and facilitate its repair. Achieved through a structured fault analysis process and having a wide and high level of expertise.
o Select and purchase new equipment based on a high level understanding of the technical and functional requirements.
• Liaise with and manage suppliers and contractors to ensure the best possible service is delivered to the company.
• Produce detailed plans, including costings, covering mechanical & facility improvements/repairs.
• Produce reports and presentations for internal and external customers.
• Identify opportunities to improve the mechanical test services offered to the business.
• Support the upgrade of mechanical equipment within the test facilities.
• Provide technical mentorship to junior members of the team.
Skills and Experience Required;
o Prolonged demonstrated experience working in a test facility environment, preferably automotive but other areas will be considered.
o In-depth knowledge of complex mechanical, facility & electromechanical equipment.
o Good problem solving skills.
o Ability to work well under pressure to priority and time constraints.
o Ability to work in a varied role, working effectively on multiple tasks in parallel.
o Experience of undertaking and managing small-medium scale projects.
o Self-motivated, conscientious with the ability to communicate effectively and work either independently or as part of a team.
o Knowledge and experience of large motors and drive systems.
o Knowledge and experience of control engineering principals, e.g. PID tuning
o Experience with using CAD or layout packages, e.g. AutoCAD
o Familiarity with automotive test systems such as AVL Puma, CP Cadet, DSG DatAqPro.
A minimum of an engineering HND in a mechanically biased subject, or any other relevant discipline is required.