Due to rapid expansion, our client is looking for a Mechanical Design Leader who can manage a small team of electro mechanical design engineers and drive needed changes to make the department more efficient. You’ll focus will be on identifying & implementing areas of improvement to help the company exceed customers’ expectations whilst remaining competitive. This will mean championing world leading continuous improvement methods to the design process to help standardise & reduce both the design and build cycle, whilst improving product quality and reliability standards. You will implement changes to close the gap between Design & Manufacturing.
You’ll report directly to the Managing Director and work in conjunction with the Production Manager.
The Lead Design Engineer/Manager is a pivotal role responsible for the day to day management and effectiveness of the Design Engineering function within the business. From time to time you may be required work alongside the design team, using the Solidworks software.
Specific duties will include:
• Leadership of all engineering processes, projects, initiatives, and processes concerned with design engineering, ensuring all are in conformity with the organization’s policies and objectives particularly relating to standardization and design-time reduction
• Utilize best-practice engineering methods to provide expert technical guidance for engineering initiatives with a ‘continual improvement’ mindset
• Act as an effective interface with Manufacturing and Technical Sales team driving best practice to improve processes to meet improved cycle times in line with our stated business goals and objectives
• Direct projects, prepare and control plans, ensuring plans are followed-up in details to accomplish the desired objectives.
• Provide regular planned progress reporting process for all Jobs and Projects
To apply for this position you should be able to demonstrate the following:
• Degree qualified in a related subject
• Previous exposure to Solidworks or similar 3D Cad software
• An understanding of Vacuum Technology
• Bespoke or Special Purpose Machinery background
• Leadership, Change Management, Continuous Improvement approach
• Performance Management
• Effective Prioritization and Delegation
• Project Management
• Emotional intelligence
• Business & Commercial awareness
• Positive and Open communication style
• Problem Solving/Analysis
This would suit a Mechanical Design Team Leader who has worked within an electro mechanical design and manufacturing environment & is able to make changes whilst helping an established team see the positive benefits of doing so.