Our client is a dual UK site development and manufacturing company within the niche technology area of Lasers / Fibre Optics who are looking to grow their Mechanical Design Engineering team by recruiting a permanent Senior Mechanical Engineer.
Key skills / experience required -
• Graduate in Mechanical Engineering or closely allied discipline (not Product Design) with minimum 3 years industrial experience Or Apprentice trained mechanical engineer with a minimum of 10 years design experience
• 3+ years experience in 3D CAD (ideally some knowledge of Solidworks)
• Experience in relevant mechanical design sectors with awareness of relevant manufacturing methods – machining and sheetmetal forming
o Electronics packaging
o Small precision mechanisms
o Bespoke sheetmetal enclosure design (not modifying off the shelf enclosures)
Working as a Mechanical Design Engineer on the development of fibre laser related components, products and systems. The role encompasses a range of tasks from the design of complex optical assemblies to product integration.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Production of concept designs of assemblies and components using 3D CAD through to detailed design and drawings.
• Responsible for mechanical designs for new product development and continuous improvements of our fibre laser products within the CW product development group.
• Responsible for all aspects of mechanical system design, including the integration of optical, thermal and electronic/ electrical system requirements, from design through to manufacture.
• Minimum of 5 years experience within a high-tech precision engineering environment.
• Experience of Solid Works and good IT skills.
• Appreciation of other disciplines’ (especially Optical Engineering) impact on Mechanical Design.
• Good working knowledge of MRP and PLM Systems desirable
• Experience of working closely with suppliers at the early stages of development programs.
• Design for assembly and manufacture.
• Be able to transfer concept designs through to full manufacture.
• Familiarity of Fiber Optic or Laser based products.
• Experience of designing machined components to tight tolerances
• Good material characteristics knowledge
• Experience of optical assembly design
• Thermal and Fluid Dynamics Analysis experience.
• Bachelor or Master Degree qualified in Mechanical Engineering or related field
• Conscientious and adaptable.
• Comfortable working within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Able to work under pressure and use initiative.
• Ability to communicate well at all levels both inside and outside the company.
• Hands-on with creative approach to problem solving and the ability to translate engineering requests into workable solutions.