Our specialist Battery Engineering client are seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to join their expanding team.
This is a Mechanical Engineering role within a small Engineering team, and the successful candidate will have ownership of and responsibility for significant packages of the battery system throughout the development cycle, working from concept specification sheets through to finished system packaging and everything in between.
• Investigate project mechanical feasibility, including:
• CAD packaging and layout studies
• Design, Procure, and implement test rigs and prototype testing models
• Gather, Analyse, and report on test data
• Generate concept BOM, supporting Project Management & Costing.
• Design HV Battery systems & components:
• Informing DFMEA and PFMEA and implementing actions as appropriate
• CAD design of injection mouldings, sheet metal, rapid prototypes, fabrications, or complex composite structures
• Simulation, Prototyping, Physical testing, and reporting of the above
• Tolerance stack-up studies
• Create high-quality Engineering Drawings and CAD models for components, sub-assemblies, and systems for procurement and manufacture
• Liaison with the customer
• Project support:
• Ownership of procurement process for prototypes and first-off samples
• Assist in supplier selection, DFM, and ownership of component approval process
• Ownership of sub-system budget and component costs as appropriate
• Ownership of sub-system project timing plan
• Liaise with internal and external test/approval teams and suppliers
• System Manufacture:
• Assemble initial HV battery systems
• Design, procure, assemble, test, and approve manufacturing jigs & fixtures
• Assist in creation of manufacturing instructions, documentation, and control plans
• Provide subject matter expertise in investigating and resolving manufacturing issues
Skills / Experience:
• Intimately familiar with Creo & Windchill. Candidates who are experienced with other software packages (CATIA, Teamcentre, Solidworks, Fusion 360 etc) and can demonstrate an ability to quickly adapt may be considered.
• It would be an advantage to have experience with HV battery systems
• Proven experience designing either Injection Moulding, composite components, jigs, sheet metal or machined components.
• Candidates should ideally have hands-on practical mechanical experience to facilitate assembling, testing, and troubleshooting test rigs, prototypes, and production components independently.
• Proven experience liaising with internal or external customers, suppliers, or sub-contractors to manage both project and component level issues.