This position would suit a Mechanical Design Engineer who enjoys working with Solidworks and is happy carrying out design activities most of the time. You’ll be working on a number of projects ranging from design modifications, producing drawings for manufacture, cost down designs as well as product application and integration designs. After time you’ll be asked to work on new product development projects. This work is absolute cutting edge designing a range of equipment centred around a high speed turbogenerator. You’ll report to the Principal Mechanical Engineer and be working as a member of the mechanical design engineering team.
• Complex 3D Solidworks solid models (parts and assemblies)
• Conceptual design solutions from rough sketches and verbal instructions to fully toleranced & detailed manufacturing drawings
• Material selection for turbomachinery, ancilliaries and packaging
• Design of packaged solutions and sub systems
• To ensure that proposed designs conform to Company and where applicable National & International standards
• Structural and thermal calculations
• Mechanical design calculations of bolted joints
• Design, and build of development test rigs and test beds.
• To perform general Drawing Office duties within the scope of the team’s procedures
• To maintain a technical awareness of processes, materials and systems relevant to product design
• Building and / or testing prototype systems.
• Helping to resolve quality problems
• Raising and maintaining BOMs using MRP system (Epicor)
• Using the Engineering Change process to introduce design changes.
• Assist in the creation and development of departmental processes and procedures.
• Technical support to Purchasing/Supply Chain.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, automotive or power engineering is required
• Solidworks experience is preferred but other CAD packages are considered
• Experience in mechanical design engineering role is essential
• Ability to communicate analytical results to all levels of the engineering organisation
• Creative and methodical problem solving skills
• Able to decide on the appropriate level of reliance and accuracy to attach to a variety of results obtained
• Outstanding Communication skills – ability to communicate effectively at all levels, verbally, in writing and in group setting.
• Demonstrates and promotes openness, welcoming, listening to and accommodating other’s input.
• Excellent team worker.
• Outstanding technical ability in Solidworks
• Strong analytical ability and a clear thinker.
• Ability to assimilate and analyse large amounts of data quickly.
• Technical ability in high speed machines, turbomachinery and electrical machines
• High energy level
• Highly effective at juggling multiple projects and prioritising them, to ensure that tasks are completed by the negotiated deadline
• Able to work on own initiative.
• Goal-oriented and data-driven.
• Receptive to feedback about own behaviour, strengths and areas for improvement.
• Keen to develop skills further.
• Highly motivated by success of the team and as well as achievement of individual goals.
This position would suit a Mechanical Design Engineer who enjoys taking responsibility for the design, FEA hand calculations, build and test activities. This is an all-round design and development position but with the majority of time focused on Design.
• Company Pension Scheme
• Company bonus
• Life Assurance
• Health Insurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• 27 days holidays per year plus bank holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Free parking on site
• 4.5 day week (flexitime)