19 days ago
Salary / Rate:
£40 - £45,000
Permanent - Rugby
Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of fibre lasers for use in cutting, welding and marking applications in a wide range of industries. Sells its products globally and has its major business operations, including Research and Development, Manufacturing and Product Marketing located in both Rugby and Southampton, UK, with additional Sales and Customer Support locations in Asia and North America. They are introducing key new products at pace and this role is critical to the success of these implementations and growth plans.
To provide and continuously improve cost effective and capable processes, equipment and facilities:
• Enhance and develop processes to ensure predictability and reliability in our manufacturing environment.
• Implement measures and standards to establish process capability and control variation to ensure long term sustainability.
• Support the transfer of new processes or new products (NPI) from Development to Manufacture.
• Uphold early engagement with R&D to ensure DFM (Design for Manufacture) and DFT (Design for Test) are inherent within the NPI process.
• Coach and develop Technicians, improving their manufacturing engineering knowledge using experience and practiced engineering methodologies.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Project manage and champion Operations & Manufacturing Engineering projects as required.
• Support the development and transfer of new products or new processes from Development to Manufacture, including:
• Involvement in the Design & Development at the concept stage of any new components or products to ensure DFM (Design for Manufacture) principals are inherent in the NPI process.
• Technology and process capability assessment
• Advanced Production Quality Planning as part of Manufacturing
• Define, develop and implement processing operations, equipment and tooling, that meet agreed manufacturing objectives for Overall Equipment Effectiveness, Yield and Productivity.
• Assist in analysing, recommending and implementing the most effective Manufacturing Engineering solutions that enable the successful Control of Variation and Process Capability, Cost Reduction innovations, Continuous Improvement projects and Capital Equipment expenditure so as to meet the company’s targets.
• Make use of in-depth Data gathering and analysis and use Structured Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement techniques (including Six Sigma) to investigate and optimize a variety of processes.
• Support the manufacturing operations team to help ensure that production processes operate effectively and the most cost-effective and efficient working practices are utilised throughout all processes. This particularly includes the introduction of SPC.
• Assist in ensuring that standard operating procedures, work instructions, test instructions and control plans are clearly defined, documented and communicated by the best available methods.
• Assist in the Training of operators on new products, processes and equipment.
• Work closely with the engineering and operations departments to ensure the quality and manufacturability of design meets requirements and enables successful completion of NPI projects.
• Carry out risk assessments on new or changed manufacturing equipment, processes or procedures.
• Report on project status and budgetary issues to the Management Team as required.
• Be a leader of change; defining, developing and implementing improvement projects to meet agreed manufacturing objectives.
• A minimum of 5 year’s experience in a manufacturing engineering role with exposure to Lean Manufacturing including Value Stream Design, Structured Problem Solving, Six Sigma/SPC and Advanced Product Quality Planning.
• Demonstrable ability to gather and analyse data regarding design and manufacturing capability.
• Experience of PFMEA and the implementation of robust control plans
• Good IT skills – particularly in Excel. Ideally able to do SQL query writing.
• In depth knowledge of the Management of Health and Safety at Work
• Experience of Leader Standard Work
• Experience of TPM
• Hold NEBOSHH National General Certificate in Health and Safety
• Six Sigma Qualified