In this role you’ll report directly to the Operations Director. Our client is looking for an experienced Machine Shop Manager to manage a team of 8. The company is growing, and as a result our client is looking for a manager to come in and champion ‘improvements’, come up with new ways of making the machine shop more efficient and at the same time include the machine shop staff in this journey. We are looking for a fresh eyes approach and some change management experience.
Your principal responsibilities will include all aspects of managing an established machine shop – anything from raw material stock takes, process improvement through to departmental budget control. The client is very keen on developing the team and do this through a KPI management system.
You’ll have an operating budget of around £.5 million and the production capacity is based on a single shift site, parts ostensibly made to order, volumes ranging from one-offs to batches of 1000+.
Product Coverage includes full manufacturing responsibility across a wide range of machined components using a wide range of CNC and manual lathes and mills plus associated small tools (drills, grinders, saws etc.)
Internally you’ll be working closely with Engineering, Materials Control (Purchasing and Planning), Quality, HSE, HR, Finance, Facilities, Senior Management etc.
There is limited local UK travel to attend scheduled Manufacturing events, benchmarking visits, personal training etc.
We are looking for:
• Detailed knowledge CNC and Manual Machining and the associated processes
• Detailed knowledge of ERP system (Syspro preferred)
• Proven management/supervisory skills
• Haas controls knowledge desirable
• Extensive operational and supervisory/managerial experience within a machine shop environment
• Proven success in consistent timely delivery of production targets meeting required quality standards and cost parameters
• Proven ability to develop and implement operational KPI’s to report production performance output and efficiencies
• Proven success at middle/senior management level with evidence of effective team leadership and people management skills across manufacturing employees including supervisory manufacturing and operational staff
• Demonstrable effective collaborative working style and evidence of positive internal departmental relationships with Engineering, Production Planning, Purchasing, Stores, Quality, HSE, HR functions etc.
• Successful track record of applying continuous improvement throughout manufacturing operations with measurable results
• Managing effective apprentice schemes
• Achievement Orientation: goal identification/standards setting, drive and tenacity
• Ability to direct, develop and motivate others
• Effective Work Organisation: including planning, prioritisation, delegation, and multi-tasking
• Ability to work effectively with others: independently and within teams
• Excellent Communications: written and verbal, one to one, in groups, presentations
• Problem Resolution: analytical and evaluation skills
• Adaptable: maintaining effectiveness in a changing environment
• Decisiveness & Decision Quality (analysis + judgement)
• Emotional Resilience
• Generous contributory pension scheme
• 25 days holiday
• Holiday purchase scheme (employees can purchase up to 5 days per annum)
• Life assurance - 6x annual salary
• Onsite free parking
• Discretionary company performance related pay scheme (annual)
• Working hours are 08:30-17:00, one hour for lunch though we are trialling a Working Arrangements scheme which gives a little flexibility to start/finish times