Global tech business is seeking a proven Lead Mechanical Engineer / Principal Mechanical Engineer to lead a team of engineers. You will be a proven senior Mechanical Engineer and with excellent all-round experience of Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design and Thermal engineering and analysis. Ideally we are seeking someone with experience of first principal design through to production.
This is a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Mechanical Engineering Lead to join a Research Division. You will report to the Mechanical Research Manager; you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers focusing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach.
The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating thermal, mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
- Develop energy storage solutions with world leading levels of energy density
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
- Deliver solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards
- Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for new products
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
Specification, Analysis & Design:
- Significant experience in the design and analysis of thermal systems, including Finite Element & Computational Fluid Dynamics techniques.
- Breadth of experience covering component thermal design through to full system.
- Ability to simplify a complex problem into mathematical models and perform preliminary performance prediction, analysis and design recommendation
- Good understanding of statistics and the ability to use these as a tool in engineering decision making
- Experience in a broad range of heat management technologies
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, mechanical, electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
- Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Quality processes including DFMEA, DoE, failure analysis/problem solving capability
Test and Validation:
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these plus experience in manual and automated assembly techniques
- Appreciation of complying with National, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.