Gerrell & Hard Ltd are proud to be working in partnership with a client who encourages employees to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. They are creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market.
They have a new role due to internal progression for a Lead Engineer - Steering, Wheels and Tyres. This role is such to a Principal Engineer / Team Leader level role whereby you would be leading a team of 6 Engineers within the Steering, Wheels and Tyres area of the Chassis Engineering team.
Working to the program milestones the Engineering Lead will help create concepts and progress R&D through to engineering release. This includes integrating with the product team in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude with a desire to deliver quality, robust and innovative solutions and presenting to management to help guide development of the product. This role will also be responsible for the management, development and engagement of a small team of engineers.
Working from a brief, create engineering specifications and concepts that best satisfy the requirements Lead the successful delivery of a defined set of components/systems which meet program-specific targets including functional performance, quality, cost and timing Effective management of a small team of engineers, ensuring continued drive for great performance and their continued development Effective management of suppliers to develop components capable of meeting all technical requirements and achieving program milestone deliverables Manage and oversee prototype builds and testing Ensure compliance with all standards including customer and legislative requirements Maintain and update key project related documentation such as bill of material, dFMEA’s, engineering specifications, etc. Optimise and validate designs with simulation and real world tools. Create system and component level validation test methods. Ensure system target specifications are met and delivered on time. Plan and facilitate build events.
• Manage aspects of the project according to milestones and time plans, ensuring designs are released on time.
• Work with other functional areas both internal and external to ensure system integration and compatibility.
• Work to program CAD release milestones, support CAE analysis requirements and virtual reviews.
• Generation of proposals and reports.
• Supplier liaison and management from manufacturing feasibility to production
• A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
• Proven experience in managing others, demonstrating the ability to develop and engage them whilst also driving high standards of performance and delivery
• Engineering knowledge of key systems, function, performance and manufacturing requirements.
• Proven experience of complete design and development from concept, detailed design, development and testing to final release.
• Able to interrogate CAD data and use visualisation tools.
• Good knowledge of system best practices and key requirements and the ability to guide other team members.
• Sound knowledge of materials and manufacturing requirements, mechanical properties and failure mechanisms.
• Experience of FMEA and methodical problem resolution.
• Ability to communicate complex technical issues in an appropriate, concise and accurate fashion, both in writing and verbally.
• Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
• Self-starter - ability to work independently, take on new challenges readily, possess a hands on approach and a can-do attitude
• Excellent team-working skills.