Our Automotive client are currently seeking an Instrumentation Technician to join their team on a permanent basis. The key objective of the role is to provide high level electronic and electrical engineering support to the Build and Test Department. This will involve building, commissioning, maintaining, fault finding, repairing and calibrating control systems within the engine test cell/chambers as well as vehicle test areas.
• Primarily dealing with Breakdowns & set-up work to powertrain test cells & chambers.
• Electronic, electrical, & electro-mechanical repair & maintenance
• PC build/repair, software installation & licensing
• Simple software set up and debugging
• Build & install test cell equipment and produce appropriate documentation of process if required
• Preventative maintenance of Instrumentation owned equipment
• Asset recording and allocation
• Calibration of sensors and other Instrumentation equipment
• Support when required I&C Engineers in the upgrade of instrumentation and control equipment
• Ideally a recognised qualification in electrical/electronic engineering or similar and/or demonstrated comparable industry experience.
Skills and Experience
o Experience and good broad knowledge of electrical and electronic instrumentation and electromechanical equipment.
o Ability to read electrical/electronic schematics
o Comfortable with & working knowledge of PC’s, networks & I.T systems.
o Good problem solving / route cause analysis skills.
o Ability to perform simple manual operations such as drilling and sawing, e.g. for electronic enclosure assembly / modification.
o Experience working in a powertrain test environment
o Experience of working with mains voltages (17th Edition)
o Knowledge and experience of large motors and drive systems.
o Knowledge and experience of control engineering principals, e.g. PID tuning
o Knowledge and experience with different interface protocols, e.g. GPIB, RS232, CAN etc
o Experience with using PLCs.
o Experience with automotive test systems such as AVL Puma, CP Cadet, DSG.