Exterior Trim Design Engineer
Contract (Outside IR35)
Our Automotive and Engineering Design client are currently seeking a number of contract Design Engineers to join their Design, Development and Engineering Centre based in Surrey.
We are seeking Mechanical Design Engineers with an exterior trim background, and your primary focus of the work is to model in Catia V5, any components and assemblies including their sub-assemblies across any functional area and provide innovative technical solutions to meet project needs. Additionally, you could be asked to deliver overall vehicle layout work, including manikin positioning, at the concept stage as well as tooling, jigs and fixtures design and supporting vehicle build.
The key elements are to ensure the compatibility of design solutions against the vehicle specification, integrate hardware with styled themes and to work with the Vehicle Engineering division of the company to ensure the design output is optimised.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide high quality and imaginative technical solutions to project requirements, utilising team input when necessary
• Contribute to and support events and activities that the Company may become involved in
• Prepare 2D concept sections, 3D part models, 3D assembly models, 2D drawings and any associated design documentation as required
• Plan and support preparation and release of designs for tooling and fixtures
• Liaise with styling, manufacturing, CAE etc. to support development of feasible design solutions
• Liaise with permanent engineers and Project Managers to ensure technical targets, programme timings and budgetary requirements are met
• Liaise with the Prototype Workshop to provide feasible design solutions and support workshop activities pre, during and post-vehicle build
• Ensure all design work meets required specifications within timescales and budgets
• Support meetings with technical suppliers, third party suppliers, and others as may be required
• Support preparation of material detailing concepts and design status to client project teams, client senior management, project suppliers and internally to Company personnel
• Ensure own designs meet all relevant safety and regulatory requirements, and are formally verified to meet these and other specifications