We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a team of 5 technical staff plus several external contractors. You’ll be directly responsible for new product development across the range of sample preparation products for electron microscopes, including sputter coaters, vacuum evaporators, critical point dryers, freeze dryers, plasma etchers and cryo-SEM, as well as other technologies that would complement their current offering.
As Engineering Manager you’ll provide the overall technical leadership and vision for the new product development team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Relevant Degree in Physics, Engineering or related technical discipline.
• Proven expertise in development of scientific equipment.
• Experience in design of vacuum equipment is essential.
• Track record in leading small engineering teams is essential. Achieving goals on time and within budget and working effectively in matrixed organizations
• Understanding of the core principles of Design for Manufacture & Serviceability
• The ability to clearly define development and product improvement projects in conjunction with inputs from Service and Sales and to resolve conflicting priorities
• A strong leadership style combined with a hands-on approach in leading several projects and experiments in parallel
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Experience with electron microscopes would be a distinct advantage as would familiarity with methodologies for sample preparation (e.g. coating, critical point drying, cryo).
• Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting scientific instrumentation
• Formal qualifications in methodologies such as Agile Product Development would be a plus
• Demonstrated ability to influence others without having direct authority
• Strong analytical and computer skills are preferable including currency with CAD software such as SolidWorks and PDM
• Familiarity with SAP Business One would be an advantage
• Interest and ability to understand the science and interface with key opinion leaders is desirable
• Must be willing to travel both within the UK and internationally for typically 10% of time
• Valid driving licence and passport required