Founded in 2019, we are building electric trucks specifically to be used in and around cities and urban areas. The company’s ambition is to remove tailpipe emissions, reduce city pollution, and completely redesign the vehicle to make it significantly safer – for drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclists. We are a small and tight knit team wanting to work with those who share our passion, our values and our drive to make city centres safer and cleaner.
• To deliver component and system designs within Body Structures team across all Volta Trucks product lines and projects.
• Generating the 2D and 3D supplied part & manufacturing data pack specific for a wide range of manufacturing process.
• Ensuring the systems and components you are responsible for are designed robustly via the Volta Trucks program development process working cross functionally to contribute to the delivery of applicable vehicle objective and subjective attributes targets as well as cost, timing & quality requirements.
• The scope of the role covers design support for all projects from initial product concept, product development, launch, series production and field vehicle issue resolution.
• Working with the project engineering team to deliver all systems in line with targets, KPI’s and milestones set by the Volta Trucks program including all vehicles in development and series production.
• Deliver complete component and system level packaging and concept studies including styling feasibility.
• Component/system design and detailing from prototype (including mule vehicle support) to production, with internal and external design standards including GD&T.
• Ensure the design of all components meets the technical specifications.
• Identify opportunities with the Project Engineers to reduce complexity, cost and weight, and utilise experience and supplier process knowledge to ensure related targets are met.
• Define components and sub-assemblies within the vehicle context ensuring package constraints are satisfied while respecting kinematic profiles and assembly feasibility.
• Working with the project engineers in executing DFM activity to ensure components are manufacturable and fully optimised for the production process.
• Design components for a wide range of manufacturing processes including (but not limited to) injection moulding, vacuum forming, folded/pressed sheet metal, welded fabrications, CNC machining and foam moulding.
• Interpret DFMEA requirements for significant and critical characteristics and ensure they are satisfied by design.
• Support the Project Engineer/Principal Engineer in the definition of the product BOM, and ongoing management throughout the vehicle programme.
• Meet all defined engineering release milestones.
• Communicate progress and critical issues to the Principal Engineer, Project Engineers, and when necessary, the Chief Engineer.
Qualifications and Experience
• A strong track record of delivering design to timing, weight and cost targets.
• Previous experience of design activities at OEM or tier one with a demonstrable record of delivery of the accountabilities.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in automotive, aerospace or equivalent industries.
• Experience of high volume and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes.
• Relevant Experience in lightweight body design engineering and materials technologies.
• Sound background of designing for a wide range of manufacturing processes.
• Mechanical, systems or automotive engineering degree – 2:1 or above.
• Excellent 2D/3D CAD skills (preferably CATIA V5/V6).
• Knowledge of PDM systems and engineering change processes.
• PC literate and at ease with MS Office & Google products.
• Full UK driving license.
• An excellent communicator with the ability to influence and motivate teams and work cross functionally, in a start up fast moving environment.
• Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to system and concept design, solving engineering problems using practical problem solving methodologies where required, with an excellent eye for detail and an engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
• Well organised and delivery focused with a demonstrable track record of on-time and on target delivery in a high pressure environments.
• Capable of representing a world class automotive brand.
• Willing & able to travel within the UK, EU and worldwide as required.