Leading and rapidly growing science and research business is seeking a proven Data Scientist to help shape a brand new data science department. You will be interested in applying machine learning, AI & applied statistics techniques to Physics & Engineering problems.
You will design and implement data science tools to support teams working towards the goal of inertial fusion power production.
You will have a broad knowledge of machine learning techniques and data modelling. You will be able to use that knowledge to work independently and solve new challenges related to our research in inertial confinement fusion.
The Data Science team is new and there will be the opportunity to help shape its direction and approach.
The position will be at scientist or senior scientist level.
Responsibilities will include:
• Consistently improving the capability and quality of our data science tools
• Enhancing our numerical modelling approach and managing uncertainty in our simulation models using data science techniques
• Working closely with the experimental team, contributing to data processing and interpretation of complex experimental diagnostics
• Working as a subject expert within the team in one or more of the following areas: Uncertainty Quantification, Optimisation, Inference, Emulation/Regression, Neural Networks & Transfer Learning
Ideal proven ability:
• A MSc or PhD in a relevant technical discipline (e.g., Physics, Engineering, Maths, Computer Science etc.)
• Broad knowledge and experience with a variety of machine learning & data science techniques, ideally applied in a Physics, Engineering or Simulation context
• A track record of successfully planning and executing data science research
• Hands on experience using Python and associated libraries, or a strong desire to learn
• Demonstrated self-motivation, enthusiasm to work in a dynamic team environment and evidence of taking the initiative
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills