The main purpose of this role is to lead and manage the Honda Formula One Trackside operation group (GROUP) for the allocated Formula One team (TEAM) and feedback to Honda’s Power Unit (PU) development.
- Senior contact for the TEAM.
- Control Honda race weekend program, technical updates for reliability and performance
- Liaise directly with the TEAM’s chassis Principal Race Engineer for race weekend plan
- Overview of PU operation and performance
- PU utilisation, with respect to engine (e.g. Motor Generator Unit –Kinetic, Motor Generator Unit -Heat, Turbo Charger, and Control Electronics.)
- Manage the PU allocation for the TEAM’s race and test
- Attend and take active part in the pre and post event meeting with TEAM.
- Summarise the running result of TEAM’s cars, make a priority of any issue and improvement items for next steps
- Daily report: create and report daily trackside feedback information for Honda Management and project members in Japan and UK.
- Check and feedback test item for Dyno test
- Manage the GROUP at the trackside.
- Travel overseas and weekend work will be required
- Any other reasonable tasks as required by the company
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Similar/Equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of Formula One Power Units (e.g. Engine Development, Engine Calibration, Direct injection, Turbo Engine, Motor Generated Units) to identify and fix engineering issues
- Ability to analyse data from PU reliability and performance aspect.
- Extensive Trackside experience
- Moderate understanding of chassis dynamics to support engine configuration
- Excellent document presentational skills
- Familiar with analysis tools such as ATLAS
- Experience of working within a research and development sector of Motorsports/High Performance Engineering
- An adept communicator, able to build good relationships across all cultures both internally and externally
- Fluency in spoken & written English is essential.
- PC literate
- Competence and ability to drive in the UK
- Exposure/knowledge of ERS Power Unit energy management (desirable)
- Understanding Honda culture and philosophy (desirable)
- Competence in Japanese or another European language (desirable).
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
Successful candidate will benefit from a competitive package consisting of Basic Salary (a minimum of £80,000 p.a.) Company Car Scheme, Pension Scheme, Private Medical Insurance, Free On-Site Gym Facilities, 30 Days Holiday (pro-rata per annum), Free On-Site Parking as well as Access to Honda Product Discounts. Relocation expenses may be offered.
Closing Date for Applications: 11.05.18