Business Development Manager (Propulsion)
£Neg + Benefits
The purpose of this role is to build on the strong portfolio of research projects and relationships undertaken by the group to expand and sustain the pipeline of industrial research projects (B2B) to ensure it delivers on its strategic objectives.
This role requires a detailed understanding of the existing market within powertrain research, and credibility within the automotive sector. Experience within high-value engineering research would be highly desirable. It would suit someone who is keen to be part of an accountable, fast-evolving team, where their input will help shape future directions of the business development strategy.
The role will work as a collaborative approach that reflects the values they believe in, is crucial. Our values are:
- Trusted and credible. An Influencer. Globally recognised for our expertise and industry-focused R&I; they attract and invest in the brightest minds to solve the greatest challenges within automotive propulsion.
- Collaborative. They work inclusively to bring together the best minds to solve challenges. Their partnerships go beyond the transactional. They work flexibly with our partners to co-create solutions and insight.
- Curious. Intellectually rigorous and investigative; they step back from problems to explore challenges and deliver quality insights to their partners.
- Thorough and committed to quality delivery. We value and invest in the people, systems and processes needed to deliver for our partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the senior team to develop a robust business development plan; lead delivery of this plan.
- Provide regular pipeline forecasts to inform capacity planning and business development priorities.
- Using pipeline insight, adapt business development priorities/activities to ensure facility use is maximised with appropriate work.
- Work with the leadership team and other colleagues to develop business relationships with existing clients and build new business opportunities, reflective of strategic priorities.
- Providing up to date market insight, including competitor analysis, as required.
- Work collaboratively, with expertise, insight and enthusiasm, to develop new business that brings together commercial opportunities and academic expertise – to ensure business opportunities reflect the right results for the business.
Preparing client proposals:
- Work in collaboration with Principle Investigator/Engineering Director, engage in diagnostic discussions with potential new clients to develop new opportunities.
- Work in partnership with the appropriate Technical Lead to ensure the needs of the client are translated into a realistic project/programme and meet/exceed the client’s expectations.
- Take the lead on producing client quotations, liaising with facility and resource leads to ensure quotes are in line with agreed pricing practice, and include informed consideration of facility time, resourcing and capacity.
- Produce engaging, persuasive and articulate proposals that clearly explain the proposition and engage with the client mindset
- Take the lead, as determined by the relevant technical lead, in engaging in diagnostic discussions with existing clients for follow-on programmes, including consideration of design, resourcing, delivery and pricing.
- Manage the proposal, pitch, and contracting processes for all client relationships, working with faculty and other colleagues as required.
- Proactively work with academic team to link research and new thinking to client need.
- Maintain positive, proactive relationships with clients, and prospective clients, ensuring IAAPS is presented positively at key/relevant industry events.
Understand and manage the client portfolio:
- Develop and enhance working relationships with existing clients to ensure a high quality of service and customer satisfaction.
- Manage the CRM database; maintain current and accurate portfolio information using the allocated systems.
- Work in partnership with the Technical Lead to support customer communication during delivery - sufficient to identify new business opportunities, promote future opportunities, and ensure client satisfaction.
- Work with colleagues in Finance and contracts to oversee finance and accounting processes within your client portfolio
- Attend and/or present at client meetings and/or external forums as relevant to support new business and lead development.
- Maintain high customer service quality in order to attract and retain customers by running/participating in pre- and post-programme debriefings with the project team and customers, providing feedback as required.
- Gather customer feedback, reviews and evaluation data and provide insight to the leadership team on opportunities for improvement or new business opportunities.